cable problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nena13, Jan 11, 2009.

1. nena13 macrumors newbie

i have recently bought my first MBP and generally i am very satisfied with it, the only problem is when i take off the battery and use it with the battery charger cable i must be very careful with it because it can be taken off very easily and it shuts down loosing all my work i have been working on. Is there a firmere cable that does not take off that easily?:confused::confused:

:apple:

2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

You mean the magsafe adaptor? Yes, it is very easy to remove, but that's the point.. it detaches from the laptop in the event someone trips over it, saving the computer from falling... 'why in the hell are you using your notebook WITHOUT the battery?

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You do know that by running without the battery in you are going to make to the processor run at 50%?

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

[​IMG]

Please tell me why you have a MBP if it seems you would have been much happier with the cheaper and better iMac? Not only that, but you aren't saving for some reason.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Taking your battery out while leaving the power cable in when using your Macbook Pro makes your computer run at HALF speed

2) It kills the battery to leave it out of the computer

3) It causes your computer to run hotter

More Information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

What does your comment have to do with this thread?

7. ukmacpro macrumors member

Er, right... Not sure what you mean, or what you're trying to say...

I leave my MacBook Pro plugged in most of the time...

You'll have a faster running laptop, and a healthier battery if you leave it in. As long as you use it on battery power every so often, and calibrate the battery every now and then there is no reason that your battery will lose efficiency (which is why I assume you leave it out?)

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Dont take out the battery, your computer throttles down to half the power when you do that, plus you run the risk of losing all your work like you already have.

9. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Your MBP is designed to be run with the battery installed all the time. It is highly advisable to have a battery installed in the computer whenever the computer is in use. In other words: Put the battery in.

The Magsafe "battery charger cable" is designed to disconnect from the laptop easily. This prevents the computer from being pulled off your worksurface, damaging it in the process. It is designed to be like this; there is no option for a firmer cable. This would defeat the purpose of the Magsafe "battery charger cable".

You must use the computer with the battery installed all the time, regardless of whether it is plugged in or not. All you need to do is unplug the computer once in a while for a couple hours to keep the electrons in the battery moving.

--mAc

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Because they are treating their notebook as if it is a desktop by removing the functionality of a notebook of running away from AC power. If they didn't want a magsafe or a battery the iMac is like a MBP with a larger screen and a lower price. Of course it is advisable to leave a notebook plugged in if you are near a plug but not without the battery as it destroys the battery and throttles the CPU down. The magsafe is designed to unplug for a reason. Why the OP doesn't save their documents and then is angry that their computer shuts off when the battery isn't in is beyond me.

11. nena13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, i have been told that it is better to run the laptop without having the battery on all time...:(

12. nena13 thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG, i had totally no idea... thank you very much for saving me!!

13. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Actually, when you have the computer plugged in and the machine is charged, the battery is not in use. It just sits there essentially... until you unplug the machine. The MBP will run entirely off the charger cable when the battery is charged. So... having the battery in and charged is basically the same as having it out. Except with the battery in you don't have a chance of losing your work if the Magsafe connector pulls out.

So, it really makes sense to leave the battery in. There aren't any negatives to doing this; we all do it.

--mAc

14. nena13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, glad that i asked... Thank you very much!

15. azdude macrumors 6502

I would agree with the others that you really ought to leave the battery installed.

However, if you want your MagSafe to not disconnect so easily, you can buy this little plastic widget:

http://thoughtout.biz/MagStayPRO

Not compatible with the latest Macbook Pros obviously, but if you have a previous generation...

16. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

That's not really true. The battery provides the extra power the notebook requires to run at maximum with the magsafe plugged in. That's why it runs at half maximum without the battery.