Cable protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hansokl, Aug 17, 2017.

1. hansokl macrumors regular

Good morning!

I've had pretty good luck with apple iPhone lighting cables lasting a long time. However, I've started putting electrical tap on them as they begin to wear out on the ends.

I need to order another able $29 bucks so thinking about ordering some cable protectors to use to hopefully extend the life of the cable.

Should I just put electrical tap on it right away or should I buy cable protectors?

If cable protectors, can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks in advance!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd suggest buying better cables like Anker's Powerline II. It's more durable to begin with and has a lifetime warranty in case anything happens. $29 will get you multiple Powerline II's.

3. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Sugru: https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-repair-a-usb-charger-cable

4. hansokl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I've always been hesitant in using other cables but will grab one of these on Amazon.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    May have to get some of these too.. thanks!

5. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Apple stores may replace them free of charge (no pun intended, as weak as that pun is)?

Worth a try.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Just plug/unplug them using the actual plug and not by pulling on the wire. I've been using Apple products (iPods, iPads and iPhones) for 15 years and have used only Apple cabled (30-pin and lightning)... in that 15 year period, I've had two cables fail - one because I shut a desk drawer on the connector and the other (a 30-pin cable) eventually just wore out.

Anker makes great, high-quality stuff and I'd recommend them if you feel the need... but again, treat them right and you will be fine. I've never even considered cable protectors... just keep them away from drawers and dogs.