cable release/ remote question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rweakins, Jan 1, 2008.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

what remote or cable release can be used for a canon rebel xt for long exposures to keep the shutter open?

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The Canon RC-1 is a wireless remote that I use. I like it because it will work with my 400D and 40D. I think if I got a wired one I would need different models.

3. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

i can't tell just by looking at it but would the Canon RC-5 be able to do the same. just hold the button down in the manual setting for a long exposure...

4. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

be careful with wireless remotes that use IR to signal the camera. In longer exposures (several minutes) you will start to see pink light fringing on the side of the frame closest to the IR sensor/emitter. That's why I switched to a cable.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I've got the RC-1 for my Canon 400d, I just set the camera to BULB and the Remote/Timer click the remote to take the picture, press it again to finish.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

That's kind of hard to imagine - are you sure you're not just seeing what's known as "amp noise"?

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I just remembered it was on my old Nikon CP8800, before I got a 350D. And yeah, I'm positive it was the IR light, because it was exactly the same color as IR remotes I photographed to test it, and the problem ceased as soon as I used a wired remote.

8. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Same thing happened to me, wireless remote for my Nikon was half the price of the cabled one, but in the end it was a waste of money and now I have both. IR sensors are a pain in the backside, trust us

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The main problem I've had with my wireless remote (since I'm not doing minutes-long exposures) is it only registers about half the time. :D