Cable to attach ipad to Universal Ipod Dock or Bose Sounddock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mickeyinnyc, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Mickeyinnyc macrumors newbie

Looking for a cable to connect the ipad to the Apple Ipod Universal Dock so I can use my remote to navigate the songs on it, would use the same cable to attach it to a Bose Sounddock, yes I know the universal dock won't hold it, but if I can find this kind of cable it should charge it with the 10Watt Ipad charger connected to the Universal Dock and the sound thru the aux cable in on the Universal Ipod dock and into the headphone jack on the Ipad, Does this cable exist and will it work with the Ipad and my hope to use the remote with it, the Ipad dock is worthless it will charge the Ipad, and you can hook up audio to it, but the remote won't function, because there is no inferred for the remote on it, I guess its not a big ipod after all!

2. Mickeyinnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so the Universal Ipod Dock won't hold the Ipad to heavy, I want to put it on a stand and run the wiring thru the dock right near it

3. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I would say just to get the iPad dock, and run an audio cable from it to your sounddock.

4. Mickeyinnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, but the remote won't work, thats kinda what I am looking for

5. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I'm pretty sure that the iPad won't support the remote anyway since it's not made for the dock then

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I'm going to guess that the iPad still won't work with that cable. Apple loves ton play games when it comes to what works with what. Just like where some devices would charge the first gen iPhone, and then all of a sudden, the second gen wouldn't because of a device ID change. But you can always return the cable if it doesn't work.

7. ZBB macrumors newbie

That wasn't a device ID change. Apple removed the firewire spec from the dock connector starting with the iPhone 3G. That was a physical change in the dock connector spec, and it meant that any accessories that used firewire for charging lost that capability.

I don't know if the iPad had a physical change in the dock connector specs or not. I'd guess not.

I do know that some "accessories" won't work with the iPad though -- the BMW iPod/iPhone integration for example does not like the iPad (and displays a device not compatible error on the radio screen in the car).

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

9. mjkrooker macrumors newbie

I've been using my iPad with the CableJive dock extender cable. It works great, no issues. Seems like the only thing significantly different on the iPad is that it requires more juice to charge, but everything else is the same on the connector:

http://www.cablejive.com/products/Dock-Extender-Cable.html