Cable to connect iP4 to TV with HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom2847, Jul 26, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

What is the cable I need to be able to plug into the bottom of the iPhone 4 and plug into my TV to broadcast true 720p videos I film. They sell something in AT&T stores for $40 but it's not HD and it's for 3G/3Gs.

I need to find the product and search for the best deal. Thanks guys!

2. swirlybee macrumors member

I'd like to know too. I got the official Apple Component AV Cable which works with the iP4 but I don't know if it actually outputs to 720p. The Apple website says it's only good for 480p or 576p [but that's for 3GS and iPad].

3. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

I believe you are looking for the Apple AV Component cable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTA4NDc4Njc

4. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect but do you know if there are any brands that are like...cheaper? Hahaha.

I was planning on buying it on Amazon or something for like $15-20. Apple products sometimes are just expensive for nothing special like this cable.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Hi Tom I bought this one about 2 weeks ago it worked on ios4 and it still works on ios4.01. You can watch YouTube, view photos, play video stored on your phone with no problems what so ever. Hd YouTube videos look great but not obviously full hd.

http://www.spider-foot.com/audio-vi...-touch-nano-iphone-4g-3gs-3g-ios-4-p-711.html

They have a video on there page showing it working and I can take a video of it working at home on my tv if you want?

6. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

Please! If you could record that and upload that'd be great. When you watch your videos in Camera Roll, is it in HD??

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Ok I will upload a video tomorrow on YouTube so you can see it working on my tv at home. No hd videos are not full hd but they look the better than the picture you would get from a standard tv picture.

They have some on ebay that claim to have the apple chipsets in them like the one I bought but I can't say if those ones would work like the one i got.

I was sceptical even after watching there YouTube video of it working on ios4 but it works perfectly. I can even have it charging on my tv whilst watching a video by plugging in the USB cord into my USB port on my tv :D

8. D4ND4N macrumors member

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It wont be full hd even if the video you have on the phone is full hd. These cables can not carry a a high definition picture but honestly i think its 580p or something like that.

Videos look like dvd quality on a hd tv so its nothing to far away.

I just wish the iphone had a hd out on it :(

10. D4ND4N macrumors member

Thats abit silly, when your phone is HD, should be able to send a HD Picture if its using a Comp Wire, or does the 6th lead make it the HD version?

11. james92se macrumors 6502a

Haha, that spider-foot.com guy sure is into Audis :p

12. D4ND4N macrumors member

I'm sure he's saving quite hard.

13. smeg36 macrumors regular

This thread got me thinking, my Pioneer Kuro has a feature called Home Media Gallery. You can play video and photos over USB. So I plugged my iPhone 4 in via the USB cable, and it played the videos in 720p straight from the phone. So if your tv has a similar feature (I know more and more of them do), you can achieve 720p straight from the phone that way with no extra cables required.

14. Stay Tuned macrumors member

Such a shame Apple doesn't see HDMI as a benefit or a standard when every other manufacturer does. Of course they also think Blu-Ray is a fad, so go figure.

They really hit home runs with trying to make mini-display port and fire-wire a standard didn't they!

I can't wait for they day they come up with some weird power plug configuration and call the design magical.

15. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

we're all going to have to buy lots of cables from him! lol Gotta love the laid back feel of his video with the family having dinner in the background :D

It seems that the only way to actually get 720p out of the phone is via an HDMI cable? So we need this component cable but with an HDMI lead coming out of it? Isn't there a technical reason why component/RCA/Phono connectors cannot output to HD? I think I remember reading something like that.