Cable to connect mini display port -> HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karlsmacpro, Jun 15, 2012.

1. karlsmacpro macrumors member

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a cable to enable me to connect my MacBook Pro mini display port to a HD TV via its HDMI socket. In fact, I have 2 MBPs (one is Sept 2009 and the other is May 2012) and I think the different models may be significant???. I know cables exist at different prices but some claim to have better "performance" than others, and some don't seem to transmit the audio. Can someone clarify whether the cheaper cables really do have lower performance, and whether they would or not carry the audio (as well as the video) from my two MBPs. Thanks for any help offered.

2. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have any more specific and helpful advice that I haven't already tried?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adaptors that carry audio are advertised as such. A simple Google search will find numerous vendors that sell them. If Google is too hard for you, then you can find adaptors from several manufacturers at Amazon.com. That's where I purchased mine.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

These are digital cables, passing 0s and 1s. If the digits get from one place to another, the cable is good. If they don't, it's not. You won't get better image or sound from one brand over another as long as both are working.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Follow the link above. There's no point in re-iterating often requested information and advice.

The 2009 machine will likely not support audio out via the Mini displayport. Would need further information than a generic date to advise further.

I'm using a cheap adaptor from a local electronics store which plugs into a standard HDMI cable. Cost me £8 and works perfectly, audio and all. Expensive cables are pointless, the quality is no better as it's a digital signal. Buy something with decent quality connectors, unicorn hair insulation and gold plating makes no detectable difference.

6. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to those of you who offered helpful and constructive advice to someone who asked what turned out to be a straightforward clarification question. Afterall, if we all needed to pass an expert's exam before qualifying for these fora, we wouldn't need the fora, would we. Thanks again.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

It's true that Google has the answers to all the questions posted on this forum provided you have the time (to search) and the knowledge (to sift the chaff from wheat within the search results). In contrast, this forum (like other good ones) has real and concentrated advice easily accessible. But if you're saying you prefer Google.........:eek:.......good luck.

Thanks again for the help.:)

Over and out.

9. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Update + supplementary question. Turns out it's not quite as simple as some thought. My older (Sept 2009) MBP does not permit transmission of audio via the HDMI cable so I need an additional cable for that.

The supplementary question relates to the quality of video displayed. There's what I can only describe as "gentle white noise - white flickering speckles" on the TV screen when connected through my newly purchased HDMI cable. It happens with both MBPs. Any clue what might be the cause, or do I have to live with it?

Regards,

Karl:(