Cablelocks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G0meZ, Nov 14, 2012.

1. G0meZ macrumors regular

which cablelocks can you recommend for a macbook pro unibody?

i noticed that many locks have a cylinder that's too thick so that the notebook can't lie flat on the table anymore...

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I have a Kensington ClickSafe - works fine and fits perfectly on my mid-2012 cMBP.

3. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

ah yes, found them too in the meantime... and the notebook lies totally flat with the lock on?

there's key and combination lock versions, right? which one do you have? read somewhere the combination lock is a bit difficult to open?

and how does that clicksafe thing actually work? do you leave the bolt always in the notebook...i'd rather not...is it easy to get that out, too?

4. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I have the combination version, which I find quite easy to open; it's a four-digit code and you can (of course) change the code if you want.

The 'stud' part stays in the side of the MBP, and you simply "click" the lock over the stud and it secures the MBP. The stud is secured into the "slot" with an Allen-key (supplied with the lock) all you do is pop the stud into the slot and tighten it with the supplied Allen-key, then you just pop the "lock" on when you need to.

You can of course remove the stud - it only takes about ten seconds to loosen the stud and tighten it again.

And yes, mine lies totally flat (cMBP) - the "Clicksafe" lock has a significantly smaller barrel than some of the other Kensington models.

5. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the elaborate description mate.
    not sure i'll like the allen-key business...would rather not have any funky parts sticking out of my machine...i gather this stud is designed to stay in there...removal is rather tricky?
    know of any models that are similarly slim and without that feature? don't really see a big advantage to that system...

6. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Yeah, the stud is designed to stay put. It can be removed, but only with an allen-key. It only takes a couple of seconds to remove the stud, but its a bit of a fiddle as you need the allen key (there's a plastic clip on the actual cable to store the allen key though, as - of course - when the actual lock-body is attached, the stud is invisible).

Kensington have a number of models, but the click-safe has the smallest external barrel, so "low profile" laptops are catered for as unlike the bulkier models, it doesn't then make one side of the laptop stick up because it acts as a 'wedge' against the desk/table underneath.

7. G0meZ, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

update - just wanted to share this:
    went and bought a kensington lock called 'combination ultra laptop lock' for 50bucks :(...
    but quite happy with it, slim, v good quality, tough ass cable... and most importantly, no hook permanently sticking out, no allen key to lose.
    combination lock working smooth, all cool, must be a new version.
    can totally recommend this, and feel much more at ease now as some :mad:**** trying to screw me will now have to take the bloody table, too :cool: ha