Cables for airport card - which ones go where

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by toadarray, Jul 22, 2009.

1. toadarray macrumors newbie

I just received my airport card to install in my 2008 Mac Pro from OWC. They included "instructions", but do not really help much at all. The cable inside the machine are clearly labeled - 1, 2, 3.

Instructions say to match the cables to the corresponding connector on the card, but the card does not label the connectors that way. It labels them - 0, 1, 2.

Any suggestions?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I installed an Airport card a few months ago on my 2008 MP.

You want to use wires 1 and 3 and keep wire 2 taped off. The longer of the two wires (forget which one, it's been a while) snaps onto the bottom connector on the card and the shorter snaps to the top connector.

It's a lot easier to attach the antenna wires to the card first, prior to seating the card in the logic board socket. Just some words of caution - attaching the wires to card is a PITA and requires lots of patience so you don't break the wires or damage the card.

This is a good tutorial that helped me. These instructions tell you seat the card first, but TRUST ME, you want to attach the wires first. A small pair of needle nose pliers with the teeth covered in electrical tape works pretty well to snap the antenna wires to the card. Because of how small the connectors are, it's pretty tough to get the wires attached with your bare hands.

Another note - prior to the install, I recommend removing HDDs #1 and #2 because it opens up a lot more working space for your hands.

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan