Cables for Firewire 400 external hard drive w/ the Late 08 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kleinishere, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kleinishere macrumors member

Hi all, I'm a little confused by what exactly I need to hook up my FW 400 external to my new Macbook Pro arriving later this week.

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIREWIRE-800-13...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

As the description says:
    Featuring a 9-pin connector design, FireWire 800 supports simultaneous connection of up to 63 devices, real-time digital audio and video transfer, peer-to-peer device connections, Plug-and-Play device installation, and hot swap capability. The newer FireWire 800 specification is backward-compatible with existing FireWire technology, which makes it an ideal solution for those using current FireWire products as well as for those using devices designed according to the new 800 specification. IEEE 1394b or Firewire 800 cables are perfect for connecting your new Firewire 1394b devices to your legacy 1394a ports, ensuring continued use of your Digital Video (DV) camcorders, scanners, printers, videoconferencing cameras, and fixed-disk drives.

It seems obvious that it would work but I've seen the word "bilingual" thrown around which makes me sure those would work but I'd like some confirmation before I order this one.

If any of you all have an even cheaper alternative or other suggestion I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,

kleinishere

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That should work but I can't confirm since I don't have one.

If you plan on using your external drive alot along with an additional FW800 device you may as well splurge for an ExpressCard 34 Firewire 400 Card. Then you won't have to spend the coin on conversion cables.

This is the first result on google and looks nice considering it can utilize external power for bus powered devices:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fwusbexpresscard34.html

3. kleinishere thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice Eddyisgreat. I think I'll take my chances with it as I'm pretty confident it will work. I would go for the Expresscard but I only use firewire for this one hard drive and have no intention of expanding anytime soon.

Once again, thanks.

4. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I have one, and yes it will work. I use one to daisy-chain my FW800 drive with my FW400 drive:D

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

That cable will do fine. WD puts one of those in the MyBook Studio box, for computers with only 400.