Cablevision DVR vs. Tivo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A very sad day at the rdowns household. Our beloved Tivo Series 2 has died. Thank you in advance for your sympathy.

So I'm thinking of going with Cablevision's DVR rather than pony up for a new Tivo HD ($200 plus service).

Does anyone use Cablevision's DVR?
    Any good?
    Compared to Tivo?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I haven't used a Tivo, but obviously all the streaming components to/from Tivo are not available on the DVR.

DVR can record 2 shows at a time, but you must watch one of them (live) or you can watch a 3rd recorded show at the same time. Recording happens using the Cablevision Guide. If you have a live show (like wrestling) that runs over it's alotted time into your time slot, your going to miss the end of the show. You can pause and rewind live TV. The service is $10 / month, but in the absence of Tivo, it's better than nothing. It can record any premium channel that you subscribe to, and the remote it fairly simple to figure out.

Sorry - like a giant run on sentence, but that's the brain dump. Recording has a couple of options (keep for 14 day or until I erase), it will automagically erase any shows that have passed the 14 day mark. You can set up custom programming to copy an entire block of time. You can also just press the record button to record whatever your currently watching. Handy when I'm about 3/4 through some random show and I have to run out for a little while.

Whew... If you have any specific questions, let me know.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Cable DVRs here don't require any contract. If it's the same up there, why not try one for a few weeks and see how you like it?

After a year with TiVo Series 3 (HD), I can't imagine watching SD on the Series 2!!! :eek:

4. Love macrumors 68000

Love

rdowns, do you know what kind of software the PVRs at CableVision use?
    Shaw up here in Canadalandplace uses the iGuide software and despite the obvious connotations to Apple that don't really exist, it's quite awful. The PVR often misses scheduled recordings for no particular reason, and has led me to buy an Apple TV. (for example, The Office episode Niagara on Thursday. The machine had no record of it being recorded. Had to spend 5 bucks to get both parts of the episode on iTS.
    Perhaps it's just these terrible Motorola receivers with WD hard drives in them (ew, jesus), as I've managed to have it replaced thrice.

EDIT: Holy ****, I need to lay off the staying up til 3 AM working on HTML. It's broken my brain.

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I am in CT, and I have Cablevision, their DVR's work just fine, I have 2 in my house, and have never had an issue in a year. I have never had a tivo, but I know that the Cablevision DVR can be hooked up to external storage and all that good stuff. I actually don't see the point of having a tivo if you can get the Cablevision DVR.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

To me, the difference between the cable DVRs that I've used and TiVo is almost like the difference between Windows and OS X.

Both can do 99% of what the other one can, ... it's the overall usability/flow/stability that sets them apart.

I've never played with a Cablevision DVR though. They may have a great UI.

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thanks for the replies.

Decided to go with the Cablevision DVR as I am out of work and shouldn't be buying new toys. Will likely get a Tivo HD in the near future.

@aristobrat - You couldn't be more right. The Tivo UI is just awesome.