Cablevision Vs Verizon Fios...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by spacemanps, Jan 11, 2010.

1. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

Okay so i have had cable vision for a while now.. and my internet has sucked lately.. cant even play COD MH2... lag out the wazoo.. so i have been debating switching back to verizon... I had verizon a while ago but their billing department sucked! and they kept charing me more then i had signed up for. It was an ongoing thing, every month for 3-4 months the bill was 50 bucks extra give or take a little.

my question is, is verizon's billing department better?

and how are verizons download/upload speeds?

I live in Northern New Jersey by the way...

any input would be great... even own person download speeds with cable vision/ fios or other providers and where you are located. Oh and an experiences

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm in Chester County, PA. I've got the top tier FiOS internet. Expensive as hell but very, very fast.

Can't comment about the billing department other than to say my bill comes, I pay it, and another one comes 30 days later...

3. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

are your bills ever higher then normal, like they tacked on a different service but never told you lol

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. Same recurring bill each month. Expensive like I said, but I opted for the 50Mbit package.

5. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

i got you, i dont think i need that much, i think the 15 would be okay for me. All i do is COD and the occasional torrent.. but not much... I have to call verizon today and grill them on what their standards are. (cablevisions standards are 8mb/sec... meaning they say 15 download, but if your hitting 8 they find it acceptable.)

Im just so sick of cablevision and all their problems... if they dont fixed the problem by jan 30th, i told them i would leave that day. so we will see...

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

We just activated FiOS a week ago today and I have nothing bad to say about the service itself (we activated phone, internet and TV for 5 TVs), but their billing department still is not enjoyable to have to work with. We have all of our services on one bill and we have been having ongoing problems with being overcharged for wireless for 3 months now.

In October we had 2 phones break, we swapped them, but they didn't tell us that we had to return the old ones nor did they give us a shipping label, the next bill came and there was a $500 charge for the two broken unreturned phones, we called them up, they sent us shipping labels and we mailed them back and they said they would waive any overdue fees on the devices. A few days ago there was a $700 surplus charge on our account because one of the phones still hadn't been returned! Both phones were picked up at the same time and had tracking numbers.

We spent 90 minutes on the phone the other day trying to sort it out and it still isn't finished, we have yet to receive a bill for FiOS yet, so I can't speak for how they are charging us for that yet or if it is accurate, but the phone service is fine, TV quality is amazing (as well as the number of included HD channels in our plan) and the internet speeds are amazing, however the first couple of times I set up Xbox LIVE on it I had a few connectivity issues where the connection would drop for a minute and I'd lose the game I was playing in, most of those issues have since stopped, here are my internet speeds:
    [​IMG]
    (we're paying for 25/15 I believe, and the highest I've tested has been 28/26, so it does fluctuate a bit)

7. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

see thats the MAIN reason i dropped verizon, their billing department kept screwing up. Every month i would have to spend 3 hours on the phone with them to fix the problems, just wasnt worth it. And when i signed up they promised me a lcd tv, a 20 inch, and it never came... so i left them.. :mad:

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

With them as long as you seem to be on-time with paying you bill, and are avoiding any possible surcharges you should be fine, they promised us a $150 prepaid card, but we have to wait 60 days of on-time bill paying before we can get it.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

coincidentally I was talking to my friend this weekend who was raving mad with Verizon for this very reason, they keep adding all these charges on to his bill and whenn he calls to complain they keep transferring him around and nobody gives him a straight answer. Poor guy looked super frustrated lol, he says its been happening for like 5 months now. Anyway I think he is at his wits end and told me he was going to try calling them one more time today and was going to cancel if nothing was resolved. This is not the first time I know someone who is getting nickel and dimed by verizon billing including a few verizon wireless folks i know.

10. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

seriously this is a damn sh*tty dilemma... on one hand i have cablevision... 1 mb/sec download and 2mb/sec upload but good billing and never any problems with my bill...

and on the other hand, Verizon Fios... damn fast internet 15mb/sec (what they promise, just like cablevision but cable vision doesn't stand by that number) but horrible billing department and nickel and dimming..

can you say bad either way!

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I know the feeling. My supposed 3MB AT&T DSL has been painfully slow for a few months. They keep saying it's internal wiring, when I know it's not. So, now I am considering going to the dark side of Comcast. AT&T did just introduce UVerse, but since they can't even maintain my 3MB speed, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to maintain a 12MB connection. Mt AT&T connection has been solid but slow, whereas the Comcast around here tends to be fast, but more unstable.

12. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

im being quoted of 15 and getting 2!!!! and last night when i was playing online COD i kept getting booted and i tested my connection with my ps3 and it was 647kb!!!! freakin unbelievable!!!

sorry about the constant venting.. i just hate when i want to play COD and i cant because my internet connection (hard wired) SUCKS!!!:eek:

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Color me happy.
    For some reason, the Philly and NYC servers, which are closer, we giving me far slower speeds. Doesn't matter - I'm satisfied.
    And as far as I can tell, my bill hasn't been hit with anything odd. But then again, I have FiOS internet only; no TV or phone through them.

Attached Files:

• fios.png
      fios.png
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You may want to take a look at this engadget article if you are even possibly considering the FiOS TV service as well, looks like they will be boosting the ETF rates and possibly increase service charges starting next week for new subscribers.

15. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My household has had FiOS TV, internet and phone for several years now and have never had any real problems service or billing related.

[​IMG]

16. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

its been 2 days with slower then 1mb/sec download speed and cablevision has yet to do anything! bullsh*t!!!!! i call them everyday to check the status of when a "supervisor" is coming out to survey the situation..

im calling verizon tonight...

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Goodluck with the install, ours went flawlessly, let's hope the first bill is the same.