Cacelling iphone data plan work-around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brock2621, Jan 1, 2008.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Ok, i'm about to switch to At&t and i want to get an iphone. The problem is i don't want to sign the contract for 50 freakin dollars a month for all this retarded crap for internet. I currently have t-mobile and i pay like $5 or $7 compared to their $29.99 plan which is just insane. Anywayz, i'm talking to them about possibly lowering it to try and match or at least get close to t-mobiles and they seem to be leaning that way to get me to sign up (actually i would be signing up 6 lines so i think they like that idea and are willing to work with me).

ANYWAYZ, i want an i phone. Is there a way to get around paying 50 bucks a month and still get it? Can i cancel it? Also, if i sim unlock it and just pop my sim card in should it then work with whatever plan i sign up for. and then i can just turn off the edge crap so it doesn't charge me everytime i accidently hit the internet button?

Thank guys, I appreciate your help :)

~Brock~

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

uh the internet and 200 text is like 20 a month.

3. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

basically i just don't want the internet. I'm going to have to buy the unlimited texts but i don't care a crap about edge when i have wireless at both home and work (and i think i can make the 10 minute drive without my internet on my phone :) Anywayz, anybody know of a solution?

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yeah. Cancel the edge service. It'll save you 20/mo.

5. chriswheat macrumors regular

No. They will not let you get a discount on internet service just because you had it for less somewhere else.

The iPhone uses edge for Visual Voicemail, so you'll be without that. I know, it's not a huge deal, but it's one of my favorites. Visual voicemail will not work with WI-FI.

And yes, EDGE is only $20/month which includes the texts.

Anywayz (sic), you'll either need to unlock it and go somewhere else to get your cheaper plan, or just pay for EDGE and enjoy it like the rest of us. You can cancel EDGE with AT&T but you lose Visual Voicemail and you'll want to then add a texting plan.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I don't mean to pick a fight here but if you're saying you use wireless at home and work do you never go anywhere else but home and work? I can tell you I use the EDGE functions a lot when I'm out and about. I originally had your thinking when I had the Touch and suddenly realized I couldn't get information when I really needed it and I was not around any open access points. I'd keep having to hunt down access points. You've got things like the built-in Google Maps application and its driving directions that are incredibly useful when you're nowhere near an access point. Google Maps also has a traffic overlay that will be useless if you don't have access. I've had to look up addresses, phone numbers, and all sorts of things.

But, you insist you don't need the $20 crap internet. So, cancel it and discover it would have been useful later.

7. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Alas, comparatively, i get high speed internet at home for $20, but i guess 1/4 speed but being mobile is apparently worth the 20. I will go ahead and get it, i just hate that it really isn't that hard on their network and they are making LOTS of money by forcing customers to sign such long contracts with this. But alas... i will give in to have my shiny new iphone... :) :)

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

He is one of us.... (points)

:D

Trust me, I never *ever* thought I'd become one of them.

Yes, the long contract sucks when we're paying full price for the phone. I'll give you that. For me, the little bit that the data plan adds is huge in usefulness. As someone who came from Verizon with essentially useless phone browsers and 'features' the iPhone is so incredibly useful. When I find myself in an unfamiliar area I'll look up whatever kind of food I happen to want or I'll compare prices on something while I'm standing in a store.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

I find the Edge access to be indispensable. One of the great things about the iPhone is the Internet access on the go, wifi is great but often it is not available when you need it.