Cache Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tlawski, Feb 28, 2008.

1. tlawski macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've searched the forums for an answer but either its not clear to me because I'm too dumb to search properly, or I can't search properly because I'm too stupid. Either way, please bare with me as I'm sure this has been asked before.

What is the difference in cache in the base model MBP (3MB) and the mid-range (6MB)?

What does the cache actually do in for the operability of the machine?

What am i really losing out on if I go with the base model in terms of its performance?

My primary uses are for your every day business tasks, but also a large part of my time and primary reason for purchasing an MBP is for Photoshop and photo editing.

For a few hundred bucks difference, would I be losing out on a lot of I went with the base model? And to pre-empt the "does money matter to you" question, yes, I consider a few hundred bucks to be substantial enough to make me start this thread.

Thanks

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

This was discussed in another thread over the last several days and debated to no end.

As far as a generic benchmark of the processor goes (not the actual MBP), the 2.5/6mb is equivalent to what a 2.7/3mb would be, in benchmarks at least. In real world use, minimal difference. The combination of processor, higher vram, and bigger HD is what you need to decide is worth the extra $500. Don't think anyone but you can decide how much $500 is worth to you :)

3. Animalk macrumors 6502

That's very strange. I typed "cache" in search and it comes up with this thread in first page of results which I have participated in the last 24 hours.

4. honeycrisp macrumors regular

I've heard that the cache is a minimal issue...