Caching Server is now built into the OS

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by sevoneone, Jul 18, 2017.

1. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Doesn't look like this has been mentioned yet, but looks like Caching Server, once only available with Server.app seems to be built into the OS as Content Caching in System Preferences > Sharing.

This is awesome for home users with multiple Macs and iOS devices. If you're not familiar, caching server caches iTunes/iOS/Mac AppStore and iCloud content accessed on a local network. When another device goes to access or download the same content while on the same network, it downloads from the caching server instead of the internet.

2. Squuiid, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Squuiid

This is awesome. As someone living in London with an abysmal internet connection (16Mbit ADSL is the best I can get), and lots of Macs in my household, this is great news.
    I was always reluctant to install the Server app purely for this function. Now I won't have to.

3. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

This appears to only work for devices connected via USB. I’m having trouble picturing any scenario where this is useful. I don’t know why they don’t just enable the full caching server functionality.

4. chrfr, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

chrfr macrumors 603

Where did you see that it only works over USB?
    The full caching capability is indeed built into High Sierra. The USB tethered caching capability is new. This is mentioned in the developer release notes for the new version of the Server app.

5. cudifying macrumors member

Sorry for the stupid question, does this mean I can use a regular NAS as a caching server?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

No, you'd need to use a Mac as a caching server.

7. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

If like the Server app, you can change the location to any drive you want. Wouldn't be surprised if this is able to be configured with a plist edit. May want to create a iSCSI volume on your NAS so macOS sees the NAS as a native drive rather than a file share.

8. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

By the way: Is it normal to get Remote Desktop updates if you never purchased that app?

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes. What you're seeing is updates on the client side, which is built into the operating system.

10. negativzero macrumors 6502

This only works with High Sierra and iOS11 or is iOS10 supported too?

11. sevoneone thread starter macrumors 6502

Works with iOS 7 and up and 10.8.2 and up.

12. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Seems to indicate it in the smaller text next to the checkboxes. I have it turned on and not a single item has been cached yet.

13. sevoneone thread starter macrumors 6502

The text about USB is related to allowing iOS devices to connect to the internet via the Mac's ethernet connection instead of WiFi. A way to give your iPhone/iPad a wired internet connection. Handy if your device has a long list of Apps that need updating/installing.

Is the mac where you turned it on connected to your network via Ethernet? The documentation says the computer running caching server should be hard wired. Could also be there are bugs to work out. The 'old' version in Server.app sometimes requires running a local DNS server with some custom entries to make caching work. I imagine this new version is using bonjour or other announcement protocol to do the same thing.

upload_2017-7-26_0-28-26.png

14. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

It decided to start caching after the latest beta release.

15. GuilleA macrumors regular

GuilleA

This is great and awesome news!. Having about half a dozen Macs and an equal amount of iPhones at home will make updates so much easier. I used to have a dedicated OS X Server back in the day for this feature alone.