CAD and BD ripping in Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fatcat23, Jan 27, 2009.

1. fatcat23 macrumors member

Hi, I was thinking about getting the new high end macbook and was wondering what the performance is like in Bootcamp with Solidworks, AutoCAD and ripping/playing Blu ray disc movies? These is the deciding factor for me, about purchasing the new macbook or the macbook pro.

Please help.

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Would you assumably be using an external? And honestly, if you're using Windows so much, you'd be better off with a PC.

3. speed12 macrumors regular

I used to have SolidWorks, Catia and GT Power (engine simulation) running on my iMac (2.16GHz, 2Gb RAm, 256Mb ATi card) absolutely perfectly and GT power ran faster than on the computers at Uni and that uses a LOT of resource when you are modelling a V8! So although I can't comment on the MacBook or MacBook Pro, I can imagine they would be absolutely fine, the Pro probably being best if you are going to use 3D CAD a lot as the discrete graphics will be a big bonus.

4. children macrumors regular

CAD isn't that resource hungry as one may think, it'll run on the macbook fine. but the problem is the 13in screen...
    also, if you're using CAD, i would assume you would be interested in Revit and ArchiCad, both of which will struggle when you run large scale developments..

oh and as speed12 mentioned, i would go for the Pro, better graphics and larger screen.

5. fatcat23 thread starter macrumors member

Ya I think I'm going to get the macbook pro, ill talk to my parents and scrape my loose change together.

But I think I can sleep better knowing that the macbook will have no problem with CAD programs in case I can't find enough funds for the pro. Thanks for the help.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well since a number of CAD programs use OpenGL acceleration, it would be better to have a more powerful GPU, but that's not to say it won't work on a the processor or lesser GPU.

7. fatcat23 thread starter macrumors member

I asked a couple friends with the new macbook and they have those CAD programs running fine. And my research leads me to believe that it can playback and rip BD's no problem (minus the HDCP issue).

I'm going for the Macbook, thanks for the help.