Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiomay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi,

I am going to replace my 750gb hard drive for a new SSD 256 gb drive.
And I am trying to find a caddy to replace the dvd for my "old" 750 gb hard drive, on my Macbook Pro 17" Mid 2009.
But I can only find caddys that can handle up to 500 Gb.
As anyone tried a caddy that can handle up to 750 gb? If so, can you give me advice on what caddy to buy.

Help appreciated :)

Thanks

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
There is no capacity restriction on the caddy. The restriction is the physical size of the drive, 9.5mm in height.

audiomay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Lisbon, Portugal
There is no capacity restriction on the caddy. The restriction is the physical size of the drive, 9.5mm in height.

Hi.

thanks for your help.

I was checking this one at amazon (uk):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008UQEY30/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A126FTQNKHPAFV

On technical details it says:
"High performance SATA hard drive providing up to 500GB of additional internal hard drive space"

And most of them says the same or don't say anything regarding the size of the drive they can handle.

That is the reason I'm afraid of going ahead and buy the wrong item.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Hi.

thanks for your help.

I was checking this one at amazon (uk):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008UQEY30/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A126FTQNKHPAFV

On technical details it says:
"High performance SATA hard drive providing up to 500GB of additional internal hard drive space"

And most of them says the same or don't say anything regarding the size of the drive they can handle.

That is the reason I'm afraid of going ahead and buy the wrong item.
It doesn't matter - the computer is what determines the size of the drive.

Maybe they wrote the ad in the olden days when you couldn't get a drive bigger than 500GB in 9.5mm thickness.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Go for the OWC Data Doubler instead, it's lighter and comes with all the tools necessary to get the job done.
41sFMl2goxL._SL500_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.