Caffeinate doesn't work

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by inyourface, Apr 1, 2014.

1. inyourface macrumors newbie

Hello everybody

I like the idea of the 'caffeinate' command very much. I also could use it quite often.
    Unfortunatly it doesn't do what I want it to do (..what it actually should do, I guess)
    My Macbook still goes to sleep after a few minutes. This shouldn't happen, right? Do you have any advise? Am I doing something wrong? I just type 'caffeinate' into the Terminal. The command looks like its working (I don't get a error nor does it jump back to the command promt line).

Thanks.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You might try the little app called Caffeine. It will keep your computer from sleeping with one click.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Hmmm. I've tried all three options mentioned above and it's not working either.

It looks like it is working - for about 30seconds - and then the black screen on my external display returns...

Any ideas?

I really want to be able to run my MBP in clamshell (with power disconnected).

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

NoSleep definitely keeps the MacBook awake but external monitors are a different matter.
    AFAIK to keep those running you must have AC power and an external mouse/keyboard.