Caffeine: Will it override the Windows 7 dim/sleep mechanisms?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by doxavita, Feb 21, 2012.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

While watching a video in a Windows 7 virtual machine run through Parallels, I need to prevent the system from dimming the screen / going into sleep.

I was suggested installing "Caffeine" http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/

If I install this little program in my Mac, and use it, will it override any dim/sleep mechanisms from Windows 7?

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, if you're running Windows in a VM at the time.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Windows 7 virtual machine is a BootCamp partition linked to Parallels, but that shouldn't be an issue / relevant to my purpose of preventing the screen from dimming/going to sleep, right?

If so, I'll just go ahead and install Caffeine...

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Correct. OS X is your primary running OS when running Windows in a VM - linked to a BootCamp partition or not. Whatever you set OS X to do with the screen, is what it will do.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

And this has nothing to do with Parallels Tools either, I suppose?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The Windows 7 virtual machine can still dim its own display unless you disable those functions within Windows. If you're running it in a virtual machine through Parallels or VMWare, I can't see any reason to leave any of the energy saving settings enabled in Windows.