Caffeine will not install off Mac App store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mashinhead, Oct 4, 2015.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I did a clean reinstall of El Cap, and I'm trying to redownload Caffeine from the MAS, and it just gives me an error and won't download. Anyone experience this before?

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I'm having issues as well. This is what I get when trying to download. Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.03.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.04.00 PM.png

Note I am in the purchase tab when trying to download.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Just search for it in App Store and download from there instead of purchase history. Worked for me.

4. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Still doesn't work. I imagine you never downloaded it previously.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I have. It wouldn't download under purchase history when I did a clean install of El Capitan.

6. OldGreyGuy macrumors member

I recall I had a couple of problems with it as well, installing and then taking the dark background, etc. I just uninstalled it and switched to Amphetamine.

7. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

Hey, my Caffeine has been removed from my purchased apps list.
    Where can I find it? And no, I don't want an alternative.

Just installed macOS Sierra.

8. KALLT macrumors 601

It seems to have been discontinued in the App Store. You can still find it on their website.

But why bother? The app is old, has not been updated in years and supports neither the aesthetics of the menu bar in Yosemite and later nor Retina displays. I recommend this simple app: KeepingYouAwake. Works in the same way, without bells and whistles.

9. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

Why bother??? Because I have a LOT of apps I'm used to, old apps that I love and use everyday, and I thought them would be THERE, on the purchased apps list, every time I reinstall macOS.

Now there seems that my purchased apps can "disappear" at any moment. Because Caffeine has been one of those mytical apps that I have used since Snow Leopars. And Caffeine still worked fine, mind you.

So the message is clear: You have the apps purchased, for some years untill they finally disappear. And I don't like that policy.

10. KALLT macrumors 601

Then you have not been paying attention. Don’t buy in DRM-based shops. You can still download Caffeine for free from their website.

11. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

I think you're right, and I shouldn't rely on the Mac App Store as much as I've been doing.