Caffeine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fortheloveofmac, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fortheloveofmac macrumors member

I installed Caffeine because it's gotten great reviews, and is obviously a great idea. However, I wondered if leaving a computer on without any sleeping functions or whatever could be harmful. I've been told both sides that it will or will not affect a computer's well being if kept on, in general. But how about on Caffeine? I feel like it might be good for the Mac [Book Pro] to use often? An answer doesn't seem to show up in searches. Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

It will not harm the computer, unless it is on maximum CPU use all the time, which would cause excessive heat and might damage components.

3. fortheloveofmac thread starter macrumors member

I haven't touched anything like that, so is it automatically on maximum? What is that anyway?

4. simsaladimbamba

What is what?
    The CPU is set to nothing and will only be used how much it needs to be used by the OS and the applications you use.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Maximum CPU is when a program uses 100% of the CPU's available processing power. If the computer is left like this for too long, it could overheat or shorten the life of some parts.

Caffeine does not use any CPU power at all. It is perfectly fine to use it and not have your Mac sleep.

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I probably wouldn't leave it on just for the sake of it though, the backlights in screens have a limited life.

I only use it when I'm reading something and don't want the screen to dim for example.

7. fortheloveofmac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! What does that CPU come set to originally then? I'm not sure where to find it or what it is, so how do I know what it's set to?

8. simsaladimbamba

It is set to nothing, as it is dynamically changing its usage depending on the processes that are running.

What is a CPU? - measured in MegaHertz (MHz) and GigaHertz (GHz)

9. Mac Elvis macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm that when you close the lid of a macbook this app will disable? I switched Caffeine on last night when I was upgrading iphoto etc and forgot to switch it off when it finished. I closed the lid when I went to bed so that the MBA went into sleep mode but realised tonight I hadn't switched it off. Does this mean sleep mode was disabled even though the screen was closed?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will not keep a Mac awake with the lid closed.

11. Mac Elvis macrumors newbie

Cheers!:)