Calculating photo library size for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ubele, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2008
    If I have a photo library that takes up x GB of space in my Aperture 3 library, can I calculate how much space space it will take up on an iPad 2? I've read that images larger than 2304 x 1536 are optimized, and that Aperture lets you set the threshold lower than that, but I don't know how that relates to file size. I have about 4,500 photos in my library, which are a mixture of photos shot with a 3 Megapixel camera and an 8 Megapixel camera on the highest-resolution JPEG setting, and 300 DPI scans manipulated in Photoshop Elements and saved as maximum-resolution TIFF files. I don't plan to store music or more than a couple videos on my soon-to-be purchased iPad 2, and I don't need to have my entire Aperture library on it, but I would like to have some idea of what to expect in terms of photo-library size. I'm thinking that a 16 GB iPad 2 will be enough for me. What are other people's experiences with the iPad and photo libraries?
  2. TypeMRT, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2007
    Figure on about 1,500 photos per 1GB of storage.

My Aperture library is about 17,000 photos (and growing) and that translates to an iPod Photo Cache folder ( size of about 12GB. These are the files that get transferred to the iPad/iPod/iPhone. The original resolution doesn't matter because it gets scaled/optimized to a standard smaller size. The same optimized files are transferred to my iPhone 4 as well. It's a resolution that's good enough to print a decent 4"x6" if you're in a pinch, and certainly enough to email or post online.