Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
The calculator app is obviously a low priority for Apple, 10 years and the haven't made an optimized tablet view.
It’s high enough priority that they gave it a redesign for iPhone in iOS 11... which inadvertently introduced a few bugs. I wish it was actually so low priority they left it as it was!

By the way, another thing which feels a bit buggy about the calculator app is the hit boundary between the zero and the decimal buttons. I accept this could just be particular to me and my thumb, but it’s a big reason I personally wish they left it as it was: tapping on the edge of the zero - a part which feels firmly on zero to me - often registers as a decimal. Interested in what others think about this. It reminds me of the frequent accidental dots entered into safari searches...

This coupled with the operator button lag and many sums just come out as nonsense unless I force myself to tap slowly and carefully.

Reactions: LA_LEE

davidb8

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2013
After the ios11 the new calculator app is unusable. It is laggy and you should t-y-p-e veeeerrryyy sloooowly otherwise it doesnt recognize your tapping.. i cannot use it at all.

Trying to calculate 12x12 i usually see 1212 rather than 144 on the screen because it didnt recognized tapping the x.

Anyone else?
Came here to post this!! Just been complaining to my friend about it

Reactions: trifid

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I looked back at the post you referenced. I still don't follow your logic, sorry. I'm not attacking you, just trying to understand why you seem to be twisting in knots to defend a serious programming flub in a calculator, of all things (an app which I imagine is indeed used by most "typical consumers").
Not sure what there is not to understand, it's all laid it pretty clearly in the post I linked.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
RE: above few posts.

I am certainly not defending this bug. It is ridiculous that it made it through 10 betas and all the way to the GM of 11.1. It’s absurd, embarrassing and, IMO, not a good signal from Apple that something that could and should be fixable in an afternoon by a summer intern remains broken, low priority issue or not.

With that said, it seems every time I log in this thread has been bumped by someone repeating the same thing and adding nothing new. It is tedious.
Even the home button delay can be fixed in an afternoon by editing the timer!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
How many people press 1+1+1+1+ or anything like it quickly. I'm sure even people who have this problem won't notice it unless pointed out to them or they read this thread. Not saying it isn't a bug but ...

Reactions: stulaw11

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Raised it in the feedback app in an early 11.0 beta. Apple got back and asked if it had been fixed and to raise another if it hadn’t. I replied and raised another. Also raised a separate bug about the hit target for zero being small and decimals coming out instead.

This is an Apple fan site. many would say literally every thread on here is pointless. Let us who enjoy discussing this discuss it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Moderator Note:

Several off topic posts arguing about the thread have been removed. Please stay on topic, and if you are not interested in discussing the topic, just skip the thread. Thank you.

Reactions: 0003462 and Act3

mrex

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
europe
How many people press 1+1+1+1+ or anything like it quickly. I'm sure even people who have this problem won't notice it unless pointed out to them or they read this thread. Not saying it isn't a bug but ...

Just try to calculate anything that needs more than couple of tapping... it goes wrong all the time when the app just doesnt recognize you pressed +-*/

And Im sure you will notice it if using the app.

Reactions: Zaft and GreyOS

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Just try to calculate anything that needs more than couple of tapping... it goes wrong all the time when the app just doesnt recognize you pressed +-*/

And Im sure you will notice it if using the app.

I was doing some more testing and I can replicate the bug easily almost 100% of the time when using the + sign at least 3 times and 2 of the operands have single or double digits, for example :

1 + 2 + 3 = 24
123 + 9 + 6 = 219
33 + 66 + 99 = 6732

For operands with more than 3 digits it's harder to replicate. But for the above examples, it's very easy to trigger the issue even typing normally.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was doing some more testing and I can replicate the bug easily almost 100% of the time when using the + sign at least 3 times and 2 of the operands have single or double digits, for example :

1 + 2 + 3 = 24
123 + 9 + 6 = 219
33 + 66 + 99 = 6732

For operands with more than 3 digits it's harder to replicate. But for the above examples, it's very easy to trigger the issue even typing normally.

Under normal use I never noticed this. However using your examples I can force the issue.

Just laying the phone down and using two fingers to do 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 at pace that I dont feel is unreasonably fast I can easily replicate the issue.

For those that type into the calc at a fast pace I could see this being a major issue for them. This is something that definitely needs to be addressed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It’s most definitely unusable on iPad :(

Lol very true.

I find it incredibly annoying there is no native calculator app for the iPad (most definitely unusable). Being used to the native app on the iPhone its hard to find a iPad calc app (free or paid) that mimics the look and sounds of the native iPhone app.

EDIT: CalcMadeEasy is/was my app of choice however now that Apple rounded the buttons it doesn't "match" quite as well. However it does offer split screen and overlay options so it works great with multitasking.

IMG_A94C61D4E8D2-1.jpeg

Last edited:

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Launch Apple Calc and type fast 1+2+3

Previous iOS's don't exhibit this slugbug, nor does PCalc

After years of Apple fanboyism, I'm really getting slowly disappointed in the magic of Apple

Everything just seems halfass lately, but certainly, not as halfass as other companies. Other companies do things quarterass.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I'm sorry, but I am noticing the bug on iOS 10.3.1 on my 7+. If I go a little quicker than normal - really, a little, I'm not even rushing the taps - the problem occurs. I tried the same - and higher speed - on a third party app on my 9.7 iPad Pro with iOS 9.3.4 and it was flawless even at higher speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.