calculator on my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by majaca, Nov 4, 2013.

1. majaca macrumors member

Is there a calculator hidden somewhere on this computer? It's a decked out desktop that we just bought like a month ago. I was just needing a calculator when paying bills online and couldn't seem to find one.

Help. :confused:

2. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

There is

Calculator.app located in your /Applications folder. It provides basic, scientific, and Programmer modes (command 1, 2, 3)

You can access Calculator.app in the following ways:

1.) Navigating to your /Applications folder and double clicking the app

2.) Accessing LaunchPad from the Dock, Keyboard, or Gesture. Calculator.app will be on your first screen.

3.) Using spotlight by clicking the magnifying class on the upper right hand corner or typing command-space. Then type calculator. It should be the first result.

If you used calculator.app very frequently, you can pin it to your dock after launching it. Click and hold the icon on the dock and select the appropriate option.

3. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

One of the things that took me awhile to find and truly appreciate was Spotlight. I access it via the keyboard Command Space. In addition to finding programs like the Calculator it can be a really fast way to find a document by typing either a part of its name or by typing something that can be found in the contents of the document. Even when I know exactly where I stored the document Spotlight can be a faster way to get to it.

4. majaca thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! Duh! :)

----------

Please be specific on how I find 'spotlight' and what is it? I do not know what you mean by accessing it via the keyboard Command Space. I pressed that and nothing. I'm pretty non-techy…thanks.

5. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Just hold down the Command key and then press the Space bar. Another way to open Spotlight is to click on the magnifying glass icon near the top right of the screen.

It is a search tool that will quickly find applications, documents, folders, etc. Once I got used to using it I rarely open any program or document any other way. It seems especially useful for documents as it is faster for me than opening a Finder window and going that route.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Plus get the book OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual by David pogue when it comes out. IMHO it should be out in Time for the Holidays.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

1) Click the Spotlight button (microscope symbol) near the top right corner of your screen, or hold [Command] and press [Space].
    2) Type in the calculation, e.g. 2/34
    3) The answer appears in the results

This can be a convenient alternative to using the calculator app.

Attached Files: