Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Does anyone know if I can turn of the following behaviour in calculator?
Every time enter is hit, the last entry/calculation is repeated. I want to turn this off, so that something is only calculated if I actually do something.

Thanks!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I submit that you did actually do something. You hit Enter again!

Actually, I didn't know it would do that, since, when I'm done with a calculation, I don't hit Enter twice. But, I don't find Preferences in the Calculator menu, so I think you have to adapt. You could probably even find a way to use that function to your advantage.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
I submit that you did actually do something. You hit Enter again!

Actually, I didn't know it would do that, since, when I'm done with a calculation, I don't hit Enter twice. But, I don't find Preferences in the Calculator menu, so I think you have to adapt. You could probably even find a way to use that function to your advantage.

Some calculators also do this. However, I grow up with one that doesn't. I also tend to be forgetful, so I hit enter sometimes twice or even three times. So, for me it is not an advantage that it calculates something again and I rather turn it off.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Does anyone know if I can turn of the following behaviour in calculator?
Every time enter is hit, the last entry/calculation is repeated. I want to turn this off, so that something is only calculated if I actually do something.

Thanks!
You have checked the RPN mode of Calculator. With RPN checked, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. For those of us who believe that God uses an HP calculator, we honor Steve Jobs for bringing this functionality to MacOS X.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Are there "modern" calculators that do not preform this way? I dug out a 20+ year old solar calculator that I have that works exactly the same...

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
You have checked the RPN mode of Calculator. With RPN checked, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. For those of us who believe that God uses an HP calculator, we honor Steve Jobs for bringing this functionality to MacOS X.

No, I don't use RPN.

Are there "modern" calculators that do not preform this way? I dug out a 20+ year old solar calculator that I have that works exactly the same...

Many do, but my Texas Instruments Galaxy 40 doesn't.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
If you did not then someone else did. Otherwise, the [enter] key would have been an [=] key.

I am not blind, you know. RPN is not on, and nobody else uses my account. I use the keyboard, and "enter" equals "=".

Do you think I would not see the difference in layout between RPN mode and no-RPN mode? It is pretty hard to miss.

But apparently there is no hidden setting for calculator? One of those you have turn on via terminal "defaults write bla bla".

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Some calculators also do this. However, I grow up with one that doesn't. I also tend to be forgetful, so I hit enter sometimes twice or even three times. So, for me it is not an advantage that it calculates something again and I rather turn it off.

Perhaps you can use "Show Paper Tape," which will give you visual feedback of the last operations.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.