calculator

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrFusion, Dec 14, 2009.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if I can turn of the following behaviour in calculator?
    Every time enter is hit, the last entry/calculation is repeated. I want to turn this off, so that something is only calculated if I actually do something.

Thanks!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I submit that you did actually do something. You hit Enter again!

Actually, I didn't know it would do that, since, when I'm done with a calculation, I don't hit Enter twice. But, I don't find Preferences in the Calculator menu, so I think you have to adapt. You could probably even find a way to use that function to your advantage.

3. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some calculators also do this. However, I grow up with one that doesn't. I also tend to be forgetful, so I hit enter sometimes twice or even three times. So, for me it is not an advantage that it calculates something again and I rather turn it off.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Then use a spreadsheet or a scientific calculator.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have checked the RPN mode of Calculator. With RPN checked, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. For those of us who believe that God uses an HP calculator, we honor Steve Jobs for bringing this functionality to MacOS X.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, maybe. But it does as the OP describes when RPN Mode "View" is not chosen as well.

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Are there "modern" calculators that do not preform this way? I dug out a 20+ year old solar calculator that I have that works exactly the same...

8. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't use RPN.

Many do, but my Texas Instruments Galaxy 40 doesn't.

9. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am simply using the right tool for the right job. Don't shoot a canon at a mosquito.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I never accused you of being God, but you did have RPN checked in Calculator.

11. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

huh? What does an imaginary character have to do with this? (Edit: never mind.)

And no, I did not turn on RPN. It doesn't even matter, the behaviour is similar.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you did not then someone else did. Otherwise, the [enter] key would have been an [=] key.

13. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not blind, you know. RPN is not on, and nobody else uses my account. I use the keyboard, and "enter" equals "=".

Do you think I would not see the difference in layout between RPN mode and no-RPN mode? It is pretty hard to miss.

But apparently there is no hidden setting for calculator? One of those you have turn on via terminal "defaults write bla bla".

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

MisterYou, did you read all the posts?
    Or, did you try to replicate the OP's scenario? I did, and see what happened? ^

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Perhaps you can use "Show Paper Tape," which will give you visual feedback of the last operations.

mt