Calculators for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Davidkoh, May 2, 2010.

1. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Hey!

I am a bit sceptical about the iPad since it doesn't run any of the math apps (Matlab, R and such). If I would get a tablet I need it to work for schoolwork. Do anyone know about a calculator app for the iPad that can take the inverse of a matrix and such? And support matrix calculations?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you really need to use Matlab and R, just save yourself the trouble and don't even bother with the iPad.

3. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I do study, so I need atleast to be able to have the standard matrix calculations. Matlab or R would be a big bonus since I wouldn't have to bring my MBP for the computer laborations (but these apps won't be ported for ages I guess).

4. vw195 macrumors 6502

5. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

6. GoHack macrumors member

7. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

I had no idea, I purchased that app for my iPhone directly! Thanks, this will feed my basic needs. I might not be able to do my computer laborations in it when simulating and such, but atleast it can help me with the matrix calculations. :)

8. GoHack macrumors member

Matrix calculations? :eek: I hated Linear Algebra in college, but I did pass it the first time. :D

Do they have Calculus math labs in your school, and if so, what software program do they use? We used Mathematica in our lab.

9. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, for the Linear Algebra we only had one or 2 computer laborations. But I am done with all of my pure math courses. Right now I am taking a lot of mathematical statistics, right now Econometrics (basically just LOADS of matrix calculations since we are doing multiple linear regressions and such) and another course in simulating. So right now I am using R for one course and Matlab for another, we used Mathematica for our calculus classes though.

The computers in school are slow as hell, so right now I have to drag my MBP to school whenever I think i'll need to do any calculations in a program, I'd love to be able to do it on an iPad though ;). Wolfram Alpha will be great for lighter work like getting the inverse of some matrixes.

10. vw195 macrumors 6502

Heh sorry there was an i48 that I tried to link as well.

11. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

no problems, thanks for the tip :).

12. dstar macrumors regular

Space time might be the tool you are looking for. Check out www.spacetime.us

13. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I am a big fan of Pcalc, Worth the 10 bucks and it gets lots of use on my desk. It is like having a high end HP RPN printing desk calc. They have not been available for sale for decades. Back when HP made great calculators.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have 3 calculators. I have an hp 48sx sitting in a drawer somewhere at home.
    [​IMG]
    I have an hp 10s rolling around in my stuff bag for when I have exams that don't allow my iPod Touch. Yes, I noticed it has the dreaded = key.
    [​IMG]
    But my favorite is Pcalc which I have loaded on my iPod Touch, iPad and Macbook.
    [​IMG]

BTW, you do realize there is a free version of Pcalc, right? Look it up in the app store and give it a try. I used it for a while before choosing to purchase Pcalc.

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    Another vote for PCalc. It does RPN as well, and so it feels like my old HP 48SX.

16. IOSapps macrumors newbie

17. angel200 macrumors newbie

18. jacob11 macrumors member

19. sangsin, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

sangsin macrumors newbie

20. James twinli macrumors newbie

Mathematica, is similar as matlab. I'm also using this app in my iPad 2.