CalDigit Announces Two New Thunderbolt 3 Docks for the 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Away from the hullabaloo of CES 2017, Caldigit has quietly announced two new Thunderbolt 3 docks for the 2016 MacBook Pro, one that provides connectivity along with a charging function, and a 'lite' model with simple port expansion, for users who already have a way of charging their laptop.

[​IMG]

The new TS3 dock provides up to 85W of charging for the 2016 MacBook Pro in addition to a selection of connectivity options: On the rear is a DisplayPort, two USB 3.1 Type-A ports, two eSATA ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one of which provides data, video and power to computers. On the front of the case is an extra USB 3.1 Type-A port as well as Audio In/Out jacks.

For users whose setup already accommodates charging their laptop - including owners of the LG UltraFine 5K monitor - the smaller TS3 Lite offers straightforward connectivity: on the rear is a USB 3.1 Type A port, Gigabit Ethernet, a DisplayPort, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and Audio In/Out ports. Around the front is another USB 3.1 Type-A port as well as a standard USB 3.1 Type-C port for data and charging.

Both the TS3 Lite and TS3 can connect a monitor up to 5K resolution. Users also have the option to connect two 4K monitors through the use of a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort adapter cable (sold separately). The inclusion of DisplayPort for the video output on both docks means that users have the flexibility to select the monitor they want to attach through the use of a HDMI or DVI cable.

The Caldigit TS3 Thunderbolt 3 docking station is available at a pre-order price of $199.99 (regular price $249.99), while the TS3 Lite dock is offered at a pre-order price of $169.99 (regular price $199.99). Both docks are estimated to ship in early 2017. More information is available at the Caldigit website.

Article Link: CalDigit Announces Two New Thunderbolt 3 Docks for the 2016 MacBook Pro

2. alfanick macrumors newbie

3. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

And no SD/CF card reader? Who's their target and are they addressing all the issues with the target devices?

4. kuito macrumors member

I am really bummed Apple made the decision to nix all the ports and force use of these types of docks. It's the major reason this new mbp, to me, is a hard & regretful pass. :(

5. netwalker macrumors regular

netwalker

At least in case of TS3 Lite it does look like it. If true then one could probably find the OEM manufacturer somewhere in Asia.

The TS3 dock looks like a modification of their TS2 dock and I don't remember seeing other docks with the same layout and features. I've been using the TS2 dock for quiet a while now and don't have anything negative to say about it. Among the TB2 docks it seems to be one of the better ones.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    The OWC TB3 dock has a card reader (and optical audio out for those that miss that).
    https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-3-dock-overview

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Nice, I like this better than OWC's. A little uglier, but $75 cheaper (at least during preorder) and has esata and full sized Displayports, and does 85w for those with the 15.

But these docks are finally true docks because you can connect everything--power, monitors, peripherals--over a single cable. I much prefer it this way.

7. carestudio macrumors 6502

8. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I have a CalDigit dock that I'm using with my 2014 MBP. It's served me well for probably close to a year and a half. I have a monitor plugged into it via HDMI, ethernet, and a couple of USB devices. No issues whatsoever.

9. iMacRW macrumors member

iMacRW

Can you fly with these things? I fly BA a lot... wonder if the battery poses a problem? Thinking of getting the MB Pro with touch bar this spring.

10. bretm macrumors 68000

Still useless for me. I want to connect to the MB via TB3 of course to give the dock tons of bandwidth, but then what I need is 3 FREE TB2 ports. None of my peripherals are TB3 yet. Not my pegasus raid, not my AJA or BMD devices, and not my monitors.

So here's how I see the hookup. If you connect power to it, that takes up one port. Possibly only the USB3 type C port. Ok. Then you have a cable running from the dock to the MB, that's another type c port gone. Now you're left with one TB 3 port and ok, an HDMI. But I need two DVI monitors (no TB pass through), a raid, and an AJA hooked up. I can hook up the raid and then either the AJA or a monitor to the pass through of the raid, then a monitor to the HDMI. I'm still a port shy.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Fly with what? The dock doesn't have a battery. Yes, you can fly with anything with a li-ion battery as long as it isn't made by samsung. ;)

Maybe I am a bit confused from your description, but charging doesn't use up a port. The dock is powered by an AC adaptor and one cable connects power and connectivity to the MBP via TB3.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

Obviously you mean MBP here as the MB is USB-only. TB3 doesn't have to be an issue since it is backward compatible with TB2 and even TB1. If you buy 1 tb2-tb3 adapter you can connect one of those TB2 devices and then daisy chain the others.

On the dock you have 1 dedicated power port that needs to be connected because without power the dock doesn't work. All the other ports are still available. On the MBP side you only need 1 TB3 cable that transmits data and power unless you buy the TB3 Lite dock. You don't need the additional power adapter for the MBP any more so instead of needing 2 power outlets you now need only 1 (for the dock; I'm not including other peripherals such as a display though).

Yep so hoping that there will be docks that have 2 DisplayPort++ connections or something. Right now you have the same issue as with the older Thunderbolt docks.

13. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Questions:
    This can support up to two 4K displays, but at what frequency? 60Hz?

Also, will this support future updates to DP and the new HDMI 2.1 spec with HDCP 2.2?

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

15. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

16. cube macrumors P6

Maybe it actually supports 4k@75Hz but they did not test it.

17. dyn macrumors 68030

It uses Thunderbolt 3 which uses DisplayPort 1.2 so it doesn't. Only 4k @ 60Hz or 5k @ 60Hz.