Caldigit FASTA-4e vs. Sonnet Tempo E4P

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kittiyut, Aug 12, 2008.

1. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Which to get? Anyone have experience with any of them? Pros & Cons?
    I hope both support drive spin down in sleep mode.

Thanks!

2. Play4keeps macrumors regular

3. kittiyut thread starter macrumors regular

kittiyut

And your reason?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Normally I am all for Sonnet- I loved my PCI-x version of that card in my G5 (and the Tango Express 800 card in my Mac Pro), but the E4P gave me nothing but problems in my Mac Pro (early 2008)- could not get it recognized by the system for the life of me.

I would certainly imagine the problem was the result of a single faulty card and expected to just swap it out, but my displeasure with Sonnet came about when I found out that they have NO phone support and two emails requesting information through their support system went unanswered. Obviously that soured me on a brand I had supported fully before that! :(

That being said (rant mode off :D ) I returned the card as defective and got a Highpoint RocketRaid 2314 card to replace it and never looked back, not that that is real helpful to what you originally asked- sorry! :D Just wanted folks to know about that (lack of) customer support!

5. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have no experience with the Caldigit card but I do have the Sonnet E4P installed and it works great. It has been very fast with the drive setup I use, a FirmTek 2EN2 with 2 Western Digital Caviar 640GB drives.

6. Play4keeps macrumors regular

I told you a while back in another post YOU made dude and gave my benhmarks.:rolleyes:
    CHECKhttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536435&highlight=play4keeps

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

CalDigit makes quality hardware and so does Sonnet. It's kind of a wash. I have experience with both cards; the CalDigit is slightly faster but more expensive (yet they both use the same SI 3124 chipset). Before the 2- versus 4-port argument is brought up (which makes the Sonnet look like the better buy), this means nothing if you're on a good port multiplied external enclosure anyway.

I've had nothing but top-notch service from CalDigit. I had a faulty fan on one of my FireWire VR drives during a production and they OVERNIGHTED a replacement fan module to my hotel at their expense without a fuss. I love CalDigit!

8. carestudio macrumors 6502

caldigit raid card

Hi- I have never tried fasta-4e or sonnet temp e4p, but I have a MacPro and recently purchased a RAID card from CalDigit. I was very intimidated by installing this RAID card, but after reading many threads on the forum and watching a few videos and docs... I felt ready to tackle the job. I just loaded this RAID card onto my MacPro last week. It went effortlessly and worked like a gem out the starting gate. Now I have OS drive in bay 1, all my photos and raw files in RAID 5 drive. If you are willing to pay a bit more for peace of mind I recommend the raid card from CalDigit, which is a true hardware RAID not disk utility raid.