CalDigit RAID Availability. [Still MIA]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mgsarch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mgsarch macrumors regular

Is this thing ever going to be released!? I'm about to just get the highpoint 3522...

2. ASFx macrumors regular

Their site says it will be released at the end of june.

3. mgsarch thread starter macrumors regular

blah, hello highpoint 3522 for me then. very unimpressed with caldigits inability to keep up with self-imposed deadlines ...

Available in April (as of late march) > Available in June ....

: \

I've seen those CalDigit fellas knocking software raid on the regular in the apple forums (not to mention referring to the highpoint as a software raid card ..... ) I think I'll pass on their product that despite their stellar claims can't quite seem to make it onto the market.

4. huck29 macrumors newbie

don't get you're hopes up

I purchased a caldigit raid and switch with the understanding that the software was going to be released in april or may, now they're telling us it is going to be at least a year! At least! Bah!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hi Huck29

Could you possibly elaborate on the model(s)?

The reason I ask, is I'm interested in this http://www.caldigit.com/RAIDCard/

I spoke with one of the engineers at CalDigit, and they are taking orders now, and will begin shipping in June 2008. According to what he told me, it will do what I need, but nothing was mentioned about later software delivery.

If this is the case, than this is really bad news for me, and others I'm sure. I've already had to dismiss the Areca ARC-1680 since it is not functioning under Boot Camp, and no date for a solution.

Thanks,
    David.

6. ASFx macrumors regular

I really hope they don't delay again. After 10.5.3 comes out, i'd like to do a fresh leopard install on a raid 0+1 with 4x wd6400aaks or 4x velociraptor (if we find that we can make them fit some how)

7. huck29 macrumors newbie

Hi David,

I have two 6TB HDPro's. I have no complaints about the hardware or the data rates. Everything works quite nicely. However, I bought them with the promise that the SAN software would be released in April or May and that they would include that with my purchase. Now they're telling me it's at a least a year out. Which means I'm pretty much screwed 'cause I'm gearing up for post-production on a very big project. Means I'll have to be looking into another SAN software and spending more money. Now that I look at the thread my problem isn't quite on topic, it was written out of some major frustration.

8. Play4keeps macrumors regular

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Huck29:

Got it. I don't need SAN software at this point, but I definitely understand where you're coming from. The financial aspect is a substantial one indeed.

Good news on the hardware and data rates. By chance, do you know if this is the same card I'm waiting on?
    It seems strange, if it is, why they would be having difficulties delivering on time.

Thanks, and good luck with a solution for the SAN issue.

PlayForkeeps:

Very good point. I don't have direct experience with them, but have heard good things. Trying to keep my hopes high. (Fingers crossed!)

David.

10. ASFx macrumors regular

Got a notification from a Caldigit rep today about the raid card. Here's what he said:

"We're anticipating having the CalDigit RAID card in house by the end of the
    week this week. We will begin shipping, barring any unforeseen situation
    NEXT MONDAY 6/9/08."

That's very exciting :)

11. ASFx macrumors regular

Would it be safe to assume that since this card suports raid 0 and raid 1.. that it also supports raid 0+1? (two raid 0 pairs mirrored for redundancy)

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

ASFx:

I had assumed that this wouldn't be a problem, but decided to give them a call after reading your post.

Answer: YES. :D

I was asked to call on Monday to verify if they have received their shipment from the manufacturing plant. :eek:

13. ASFx macrumors regular

Thanks for the confirmation :) I emailed them the same question last night, and got the same answer as well. Looks like we are all set for next week. Time to order four WD6400AAKS drives for RAID 0+1 ;)

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

ASFx:

Just curious, but why 0+1 rather than a different RAID level?

I ask, because I also like 0+1, but due to the initial limit (for me) of 4 drives, level 5 makes better sense. It gives me more throughput ~245MB/s (read & write), and still gives fault tolerance. I know level 6 is also possible with 4 drives, but isn't necessary. It won't be a remote machine.

I plan to use the empty optical bay for my OS disk, attached to the logic board via a fan out cable. One of the remaining SATA cables will be reserved for the other optical bay (blu ray in the future?), and the other two for eSATA.

Thanks.

15. ASFx macrumors regular

I've found that read/write speeds on RAID 5 are much slower than RAID 0+1. Im going for maximum performance, so I decided to go with raid 0+1 even though it's not quite as space efficient as RAID 5 would be.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

ASFx:

My experience is the opposite. So, I called CalDigit about this as well. They've indicated that level 5 would indeed be faster than 0+1. Especially at only 4 drives internally.

I've been trying to make a solid decision before I undergo all the effort. Hoping to eliminate wasted time and frustration. :D

If you do decide to stick to 0+1, would you post the results? It could certainly be helpful. (Especially if it does run faster! ;) )

Thanks.

17. ASFx macrumors regular

Oh i'll certainly be running all sorts of benchmarks once I get everything setup :)

It's very interesting that Caldigit claims raid 5 on their card would be faster than raid 0+1. Im almost everything that i've read so far, it's said that raid 0+1 would be a lot faster. Here's what barefeats has to say about it:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard53.html

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

ASFx:

Benchmarks would be truly appreciated! :cool:

I won't be using it for video/graphics design, so some of the details likely differ in our needs. My usage will be for circuit design and simulation, thus the need for Vista 64 under BootCamp. My software won't run on OS X, and is a resource hog, so Parallels/Fusion aren't the best solution. :(

From the tests, be careful to understand the size of the array (# of drives), whether it is internal or external, as well as hardware or software.

For example, BareFeats used 5 drives in level 5 on the RocketRaid, and had a result of 233MB/s read. CalDigit claims 247MB/s read on a 4 drive level 5 array.
    There may be some detail I'm not aware of, but from what I'm able to determine, the CalDigit is a faster card than the HighPoint. If you ran the exact tests they did with the CalDigit, it would have increased throughput.

Hardware RAID is usually faster than software, and the tests on Barefeats proved this. Please note that external attached drives (4 bay units for CalDigit) are faster. Internal saves money, but at a price. Literally in this case. Sucks, but no other way around it.

Expansion = speed, only waiting on $$$. :D

Hope this helps, and thanks. Nice to post with someone interested in the details. :cool: