CalDigit Raid Card with HD Element -- 8TBs - report

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phildog33, Sep 13, 2008.

1. phildog33 macrumors regular

I am now testing the CalDigit Raid Card with their HD element - for a total of 8TBs in Raid 5 (6.7TB usable)

I am reporting that the speed is phenomenal.
    I am using about 60% capacity on the array and the speeds are

Read 444 MB/s
    Write 302 MB/s

Amazing.

They are still having some issues with expanding your array from 4TBs to 8Tbs.. Mac OS Disk Utility problems. and also fine tuning the HD Element to start shipping out

but creating the array from scratch 8TBs, Raid5, and then repopulating all of the data onto it... Im reporting that its working amazing for photo and video editing

P

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hi phildog33:

How many drives are in the array? (8*1TB split between 2*HDElements?)

Thanks. :)

3. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

I am using 8tB's spread out in this way:

4 TB internal mac pro
    4 TB external using HD element

And

1tb internal as bootdrive, separate from array, under the optical drive.. Running from sata port on motherboard

P

4. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Hey Phil,

Since you're not booting from the array, I assume, does your MP properly go to sleep if you put it to sleep? (The Apple RAID card prevents proper sleep and so does booting from the Caldigit RAID)

Ken

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: Thanks! :)
    Nice set-up, BTW. ;)
    It seems the boot drive using the logic board controller is a better way to go on the CalDigit. Those ports aren't lost this way either. :p
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. :D

Thanks. :)

NF.

6. Virtuoso macrumors regular

I boot from the Caldigit RAID and my Mac Pro sleeps just fine. My setup is 4 internal drives configured as a RAID 5 with 2 slices - one for the o/s and one for data. I put it to sleep (cmd-alt-eject) every time I'm finished using it and haven't had any problems so far.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

No Deep Sleep ^O^

I rarely put my system to sleep... On the occasions I do, I can't seem to make it go into sleep like it used to. I find the fans stay on, the power light stays on continuously, no dimming at all! The odd thing though, the hard drives do spin down and the graphics card does switch itself to standby but it's not sleep as I know it. May I ask what are your settings in RaidShield under both 'options' and 'preferences'. On, and also what version of the firmware you using?

Thanks so much.

8. Virtuoso macrumors regular

Funny that this old post should resurface - I am now having sleep problems and they started when I installed 10.5.6. :rolleyes:

9. StanD macrumors member

Hmm,

Figured I'd chime in here and add that I can't get my Mac Pro to sleep either and I have a Caldigit RAID Card with an array consisting of 4x internal drives.

Does anyone have idea why it would work for one person and not the rest of us? :)

To be honest, I had always figured it wouldn't work. Now that I see someone has it working I'd love to get to the bottom of it!

Thanks,

- Stan

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hardware RAID has direct control of the drives, and they operate the drives differently than the OS would. Since the RAID card won't allow the function, the OS can't sleep.

Some cards offer a feature that simulates it to some extent, as it can allow the drives to spin down based on a user setting (MAID is one term I've seen for it).

Virtuoso's case seemed odd to me, and has likely been disabled by a firmware/driver update.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm still on 10.5.5 and it's being an insomniac... but, at least isn't affecting the performance!! :D