Caldigit thunderbolt dock update

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jgbr, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Hi

I've been swapping emails with the head of UK marketing for caldigit who informs me that there thunderbold dock is delayed untill September/October 2013

Thought it would be of intrest to you all.

:(

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Must be some spec change from Apple that's keeping them back. They've been holding off on 2 Thunderbolt products for over a year, announced the T3 & Hub. The hub would likely sell well if they'd let us have it.
    Perhaps they're waiting on TB2 chips now.

3. Bear macrumors G3

After looking at some of the reviews for the currently available Thunderbolt docks, maybe they had to make changes to ensure they don't encounter the same issues?

Currently the Caldigit dock is the lowest priced of the announced and available hubs, so if it has what you need it would be a great unit. What it's missing for me is a Firewire port although one could always get Apple's Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Thanks for the update. I am hoping to use this to obtain USB 3 with my 2011 iMac. Hopefully when this is released the price will be cheaper, as the production increases on thunderbolt chips/cables.

5. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Too bad that it's not available yet, but thanks for sharing, somehow I totally missed this product, would love to have one! :)

6. handlemyhansen macrumors member

I am glad I found this thread I was looking at the belkin one but it hasn't received the best reviews so hopefully this one is better

7. jrm27 macrumors 6502

thats a huge bummer. I've needed something to help restore some functionality to my comp and Caldigit's hub looked like the best option. The original release date of "June" was great, and I was hoping to hold on for July. But, I guess I'll need to look for a different option now. I can't wait that long. Bummer.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

skip the sonnettech one too-http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

I pre-ordered but am considering canceling. There is some ambiguity about its release date. They said summer 2013 but someone else here said they heard late summer 2013.

9. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

11. LaazyEye macrumors regular

I'm glad to see they didn't gloss over the dual monitor possibilities. While this is a quick fix for those already with a thunderbolt monitor, I was hoping one could use the display port capabilities on the thunderbolt port as well as the hdmi port. But it looks like this hub is similar to the current thunderbolt monitor in that the display portion of the thunderbolt signal is sent to the hdmi and the data portion is all that's coming out of the thunderbolt port. =/ Here's hoping theres a new TB Display that overcomes those incapabilities this year.

12. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

13. opinio macrumors 65816

It's been out for months - close to half a year?

14. cuestakid macrumors 68000

email I got today from Caldigit

Hi,

The Thunderbolt Station should be released late October - early November.

Best Regards,
    Sales Department
    CalDigit Inc.
    sales@caldigit.com
    714-572-6668