Caldigit Thunderbolt Station

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genkuro, Nov 15, 2013.

1. genkuro macrumors newbie

Anyone else buy one of these CalDigit things? Did you manage to get it to work with two third party high res 30" monitors?

I think I just bought a very expensive USB3 hub and thunderbolt->1GBE adapter, aka a steamer.

Connecting anything to the HDMI port seems to kill the daisy chained TB port. HDMI is 1920 only. I've seen a few artifacts, like "missing pin" tints. Dual monitors definitely doesn't work.

Yea ole details for the interested.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro ->
    official Apple TB cable ->
    CalDigit ->
    StarTech mini DP to DP cable ->
    Dell 30" monitor
    Tripp Lite HDMI cable ->
    Dell 30" monitor

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

Does the HDMI on the hub support video and audio? My reason for wanting it is so I only have plug one cable in when "docking".

3. kant macrumors 6502

Check out this guy's post in another thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18336148&postcount=168

He has a review of the caldigit here

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.com/2013/11/caldigit-thunderbolt-station-docking.html

If he's got that many screens, he might have another of the Dells. Or, since Dell's have multiple inputs with PBP maybe connecting it twice would work. As far as the computer knows it is connected to two Dells.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Can't say about the HDMI but it has headphone jacks on the CalDigit. I bought it to get USB 3 and to have a single connection to my MBP. Currently have an old ACD, Ethernet cable, two USB devices, speakers, and occasionally other USB devices connected to it. To undock, I just pull the power and thunderbolt cable and I'm gone. Same easy hookup when I return.

Only minor problem I've noticed us that it takes a few seconds for the display to wake up now.