Calendar and Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Galatian, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure something out. Did Apple mention that OS X 10.9 as well as iOS 7 now has this feature, where it will show you a map when you enter the place for a calendar entry and it will also automatically tell you how long it will take you to get there? I just can't seem to figure out how exactly to do that? Has anybody figured this out? Is it just me? Is it not available here in Germany?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It was presented in the Mavericks portion, then it can be sent to iPhone

3. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I was thinking the same thing...why wouldn't this also be a feature in iOS 7?

4. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

Are you talking about the mac app "Maps" which can be used to sent directions to iOS devices? That's not what I'm talking about.

It seems like Apple completely removed all mentions about this feature. The only reference is in the OS X 10.9 overview where it states under "Calendar":

"Maps
    Calendar adds a map showing your event’s location. Click to open it in the Maps app."

I thought the new feature would sync the map location with iCloud. Seems like it doesn't do it.

5. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I think it's the Calendar application that actually provides this information, but because Maps is baked in to the OS, it finds this information automatically.

Add walking to the appointment and it will be added. It's in the Mavericks section of the keynote.

6. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

I came to the forums to ask this very thing. I was wondering how to get a location into a calendar event using iOS7 or even iCloud. I expected that if I started to type a location, it would fill in the right address, particularly if the location is stored in my Contacts list, but no dice.

It seems strange that Apple is touting the ability to calculate drive times, etc. when the app can't even locate where you'll be.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

While I agree that the Maverick version of Calendar integration with Maps would be great in iOS, it does synch fairly well.

I always make a point to add an address or location to my calendar events so I can simply click on them for the directions t come up in Maps...particularly when I travel. Works great...but the notification warning, etc. that they showed would be AWESOME.

Unless there is some sort of processing/memory reason why it can't be added?

8. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Sure, but what if you add events to the calendar when you're not near your mac? That happens to me a lot because at work, I have a PC so I'm stuck with my iPhone or iCloud.

Ah well. Perhaps it'll be added sometime.

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I totally agree...and that's what I was saying...I'm on PC as well (until I have a spare couple of thousand dollars laying around..:()