Calendar Apps - am I asking too much??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tonycooper, Sep 21, 2014.

1. tonycooper macrumors member

Hi all

I am new to the iPhone, and am stuck on trying to find a suitable task list/calendar solution!

I am looking for a task list that reminds me, and that does not disappear when ignored. I would also like the reminders to appear on a calendar, which the Reminders app doesn't seem to do.

I've tried Calendars 5 and Fantastical 2, but they don't seem to do the above.

At the moment I am using the Calendar, but after I receive an alert, the event disappears from the Today drop down.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

Many thanks

2. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you can change the notification type in Settings/Notifications.

Change to Alert, and you will get a modal pop-up that stays on your screen until you click "Close" button. This was all iOS had for years and most folks hated these alerts.

As for to-do items on a calendar...I'm sure there is an app that does that but this is a picky area because many to do list apps follow the GTD (getting things done) methodology. I believe that GTD keeps true calendar "events" and "to do" items as separate things.

That being said, Appigo Todo provides for due date and time on Tasks. And again, you can change the notification to be a pop-up style Alert.

3. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

I don't really know about your first request, because I don't use reminders so much, but I am using Calvetica, and the reminders appear on this calendar.
    From what I remember, reminders without a date and time will appear all the time (on all days), and reminders with a reminder alarm set will appear on that day...

4. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

The only app I found that does this is CalAlarm. Its not the best app, but does repeat alerts until you turn off.

5. victoriani macrumors member

Fantastical 2 does this. My reminders remain in my notifications until I check it off as complete. Or change the alert for another day. Can't fault Fantastical 2. I have it on my iPad and Mac as well. Syncs beautifully.

6. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

It doesnt work the same. i have both apps. CalAlarm has sound alerts that continue until u turn them off. it is the only app that i am aware of.

7. xerxers macrumors member

Best Calendar task manager EVER

Have you considered Pocket Informant????

I have used this for about 6 years now and it just keeps getting better and better.

Here is the url: http://pocketinformant.com/

I do not work for them or have any association with them other than being a very happy user

Xerxers

8. dyn macrumors 68030

If you want something that does calendar + todo's in the calendar than Calendars 5, Fantastical 2 and Pocket Informant (this one can do the basic todo like Reminders as well as the far more advanced GTD workflow) are the 3 best known apps. Usually you can tell the app what to do with items that are beyond their due date.

There is something to note when using due dates. You should only set a due date if there is an actual deadline. The next thing is the most important thing if you want it to work: stick to it. Why? Because then the due date will actually have a meaning to it. If you are not going to stick to the due date why would you set it in the first place? Of course you can miss an item and it's not a big deal if you do but if it is more like a habit (like in your case it seems to be) setting a due date is meaningless. For missing an item most apps will have a small reminder (like the badge on the app icon; Pocket Informant does this for example).
    If you just want a list with items that you need to do you may want to stick to a separate todo manager (Reminders will work fine for most). Luckily both Calendars 5 and Pocket Informant are able to function as such a todo manager so you can have a separate as well as an integrated todo manager + calendar.

Also another important thing: if you want these kind of advanced features you need to buy the apps (it usually doesn't come in the free versions).

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've seen some things about Agenda+ especially in relation to widgets available in iOS 8 now.

10. aggiesrwe03, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

POCKET INFORMANT!!!! Been using it since it was on the old, old, old windows ce on my old HP PDA, I'm talking circa 2003ish it is the best of the best when it comes to calendar, and todo list apps. Buy the full version it is absolutely worth every penny. Oh, and it syncs with iCloud nicely so everything entered on PI ends up on your stock calendar as well. I would also like to add, that they don't just throw updates out like some of the others, their updates do take longer, but they are written well, and to my recollection every update I have ever had has worked like a dream with little to no bugs. The last update was prior to iOS 8, but I am almost certain that the next will include extensions, and a widget. its just worth it lol

11. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Awesome Cal will do those things. It syncs with your native calendar app and reminders app, but is far more flexible than those apps.