Calendar Backup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgtbob, Mar 17, 2014.

1. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Recently I had my 500 GB Hard Drive fail on my 24" iMAC 8,1 and replaced it with a 1 TB unit. The shop was able to restore most of the data and I am now able to use all features. The question I now have relates to backing up via the time machine.

I opened my Calendar and it is visible on the desktop. I had hoped to see a saved version in the backup; unfortunately, when I click on the Time Machine icon in the Dock, with the Calendar open, the system displays the Desktop backups and the Calendar is not visible on any date ostensibly in the Time Machine. (1) Is the Calendar omitted from the backup routine? (2) If the Calendar is in the Time Machine backup, how do I restore it?

Bob

Using iMAC 8,1, OS 10.9.2, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB internal HDD, 2 TB External HDD for backup

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Finder then hit shift-command-g (all three keys at once) then paste in the path below and enter. That will get you to the folder that holds your calendar data. Now enter the Time Machine interface and restore the contents of that folder.

I am assuming here this is a local calendar and not an iCloud calendar.

Code:
    ~/Library/Calendars

3. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

Calendar

Wow! Took me some trial and error, but your suggestion worked. Thanks a million - I need to learn more such actions.

Bob

4. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

Backup issue Revisited

WeaselBoy - I have a follow-on issue. Using 'shift+command+g', the file I am looking for is not in the ~/library/, how do you get to a file shown elsewhere in the system?

e.g., I have one file in the 'home' folder but I am unable to put it into the format you shared with me. No matter what I have entered, I get a 'file not found' response. Any advice on how to restore a file within the 'home' or a non-library file?

Bob

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This would get you to the base of your personal users folder.

Code:
    ~/
    This would get you to your Music folder.

Code:
    ~/Music
    ... and so on.

~ is just a shortcut to the users folder of the account you are logged in to.

So /Users/sgtbob/Documents is the same thing as ~/Documents .

It just makes it easier for me to tell you how to get around without me knowing your user name.

Is there a specific folder I can help you find?

6. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

I think I understand what you show as an example. Since ~/ takes me to my 'home' file, then adding any file such as ~/File1 - if I then click on the Time Machine, voila, that particular 'file1' is displayed back for some time and would permit me to restore it.

Are there other shortcut type functions such as this and if so, can you point me to some reference material that would explain them?

Thanks for the patience.

Bob

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a good summary of the most commonly used Terminal commands. The full list from Apple is here. There are whole books on the topic if you ever have trouble sleeping. :)

Just be VERY careful tinkering around with these commands. One wrong keystroke and you can wreck things.

I am actually a very basic command line user. There are some real wizards that frequent the forums who I learn from all the time. Interesting stuff.

8. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

Thanks - the site looks somewhat like the Linux command structure. I will have to study them and as you say a wrong placed command could cause havoc!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... they both have their roots in Unix, so many are the same.