Calendar deleted but have files

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by scottish, Jun 29, 2014.

1. scottish macrumors 6502a

I have just discovered that one of my iCloud calendars has been deleted in the last week.

I checked my time machine backup and found the folder for the deleted calendar in ~/Library/Calendars which contains all the events in the calendar.

After creating a new calendar in the Calendar app I tried dragging and dropping all the events into it but after successfully importing they immediately vanished (one by one).

How can I recreate the calendar from the files I have?

Any help much appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... turn OFF iCloud then restore the calendar from backup. Once you can see it in Calendar go to File menu then Export then Export... and this will save the calendar as an ICS file.

Now turn iCloud back on and make a new calendar then import the ICS to that calendar from File menu Import.

3. scottish thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for this suggestion - seems to have worked.

I turned off iCloud and then did the drag and drop method again to an "on my mac" calendar. This time the events didn't start deleting so I followed your export/import advice.

Bit disappointing Time Machine doesn't offer a more elegant solution for calendar recovery.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think it is so much a Time Machine issue as it is an iCloud issue. iCloud seems to want to be the boss and will overwrite anything else.

What I do once a month or so is export my calendar to that ICS file and drop it in my Documents folder where it gets backed up. That way I can easily use it to restore like you did if I need to.

I agree this is not a very good way for Apple to do this.

5. scottish thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll definitely start doing regular backups of calendars now.. and contacts and bookmarks! (I used to do bookmarks backups until iCloud came along and made syncing simple.)

I'm still not sure what happened to the original calendar. I'm inclined to blame iCloud but I think someone might have deleted it so can't be sure.