Calendar "downgrade"

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by genzeryk, Oct 25, 2013.

1. genzeryk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to Macs in general. Two months ago I bought a MacBook Air and LOVED it since then. I updated to OSX Moverics as soon as it became available as I heard a lot of good things about the new OS, but...

I absolutely hate the calendar app. I really tried to get used to it for a few days, but cannot stand it. Hence my question, is there any possibility to run the old version of the Calendar on 10.9? What about copying the program from another mac that still runs 10.8? Or any other way to get it back... :/

Best wishes,

Adam

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, you'll have to either find a different calendar app, or get used to the new one. The only real other recourse is to downgrade to Mountain Lion.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is it you don't like?
    Visually, it's a lot cleaner than Old Yeller. (And yet from some perspectives, much of the interface is similar.)

There's a lot of improved functionality, too.

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I just had a post written where I complained that I didn't understand what "continuous scrolling" meant, as I couldn't scroll the Calendar app at all. Now I can. Weird. I've noticed Mavericks being much buggier than ML was on release.

Now that that's sorted, the new calendar seems better than the old one. What features do you not like/miss, OP?

5. genzeryk, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

genzeryk thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely agree that the new functionality is great, but to me the interface became less readable. My main issues are with the 'week' and 'month' views:
    1) no grid makes everything less clear
    2) fonts of the day numbers in moth view are just too similar to the font of particular events
    3) week numbers reduce readability even more
    4) whole-day events look completely different than the normal ones (with particular star-end times)
    5) the dots near to timed events are really tiny making it difficult to quickly associate it with the calendar they belong to (I used to be able to immediately identify the type of types of arrangement using that)
    6) All day and multi-day events do not have a color dot at all
    7) The highlight line of the current week makes the highlight of "today" virtually indistinguishable
    8) continuous scrolling of months

These are my main objections.

Please compare the images below. I think that the general layout on the right is much more readable.

BW, Adam

Attached Files:

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

From your own picture, that's not the case. All-day events have a background shade of the Calendar colour, and a dot, which is almost exactly the same as before.

7. genzeryk, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

genzeryk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are right - I misphrased the bit about backgrounds in my previous post. Changed it now, sorry for the confusion.

Could anyone please explain to me what would happen if I tried to install the package extracted (using Pacifist or similar software) from my 10.8 installation disc ?

8. jayes macrumors regular

I hate the scrolling aspect of the new calendar. I want to be able to see month by month, not have half of one and half of another. But I found if I just give one flick down or up on the mouse, rather than a continuous scrollling motion, it takes me to the next month. That helps a little. But I'd still prefer an option to scroll or flick to next month. Make everyone happy.