Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
There are two calendar enhancements I'd like to see that would be great leaps forward. I have submitted feedback to Apple.

1. View other people's Exchange calendars. It's hard to schedule meetings when you don't know if someone's free this would be a great productivity aid.
2. Conference call and web conference joins. There's an app I find invaluable called MobileDay that does this elegantly. Incorporating this would be a Great Leap Forward in making the phone useful.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Exchange support is basic in iOS, so I wouldn't hold my breath for features like delegates and free/busy.
Microsoft is going to provide an app for Exchange 2013. OWA for iOS is now available but works only with Office 365. This will change in the future, I think by the end of the year.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Exchange support is basic in iOS, so I wouldn't hold my breath for features like delegates and free/busy.
Microsoft is going to provide an app for Exchange 2013. OWA for iOS is now available but works only with Office 365. This will change in the future, I think by the end of the year.

I'd like to see Reminders with specific dates appear on Calendar. Seems a bit daft that they don't currently. Also I'm still not sure of the circles for events in iOS 7 correspond with the colour of the calendar - I run multiple calendars (Work, Home, GF work) at once so it would be useful to be able to visualise what was going on.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can generate a subscribable (by anyone) calendar of Exchange users with the Outlook Web App. The trick is to send the shared calendar to an email address outside the orgainization so that an "ics" link will be generated. Level of details visible can be set when sharing. The ics link can be added as a subscribed calendar on the iPhone.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
You can generate a subscribable (by anyone) calendar of Exchange users with the Outlook Web App. The trick is to send the shared calendar to an email address outside the orgainization so that an "ics" link will be generated. Level of details visible can be set when sharing. The ics link can be added as a subscribed calendar on the iPhone.

Yes, you can but this is hardly what people are asking for. I know a lot of companies where secretaries need access to calendars of many people, with full editing capability.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
Start a new thread. I was answering the OP's question.

Actually, he hit the nail on the head. I can hardly subscribe to the 30-40 people I'd have to check occasionally. This typically occurs on a conference call where we are trying to schedule a follow up meeting with different dynamic team members. It would be a huge improvement in functionality.

----------

I do subscribe to some iCal feeds, but at work, I never would know no I'll need.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Actually, he hit the nail on the head. I can hardly subscribe to the 30-40 people I'd have to check occasionally. This typically occurs on a conference call where we are trying to schedule a follow up meeting with different dynamic team members. It would be a huge improvement in functionality.

I do subscribe to some iCal feeds, but at work, I never would know no I'll need.

Perhaps you should have stated these details in your original post.

I'm not sure how you see the Exchange calendar situation implemented on the iPhone or iPad. Can this even be done on a Windows computer with Outlook without 30-40 calendars being shared?

If there was a company-wide "Free/Busy" calendar with names in the free/busy areas, I suppose you'd be able to turn that off and on...but that doesn't even exist in Exchange as far as I know.

Are you presently able to do what you're saying with a computer in front of you?

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Can this even be done on a Windows computer with Outlook without 30-40 calendars being shared?
Yes. In Outlook, there is a list of all people that have shared a calendar with you. Simply check the boxes of the appropriate people and click a button, and Outlook will propose/show meeting times when everyone is available.

It would be nice if there were a similar feature available as part of the iPhone's calendar app. There are a number of calendar apps that make it very easy view other people's shared calendars (e.g., Calendars+ by Readdle), but I haven't seen an IOS calendar app that will propose meeting times based on others' availability.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
The calendar in iOS needs to be scrapped and rebuilt from the beginning, both iOS6 and 7 versions of it are clunky and annoying to use.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
they also need to add the ability to forward calendar items. currently you can only forward items you create yourself. you cannot forward the ones you accepted.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This might do the trick. This is really what I wish built-in calendar did. Outlook provides this functionality and is an Exchange client. IOS could utilize the Exchange APIs instead of relying on web access, as Exchange scheduler does.

Right. I don't claim to know the ins and outs of Exchange and licensing for Exchange, but with corporate America choosing the iPhone in increasing numbers more Exchange functionality makes sense.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This might do the trick. This is really what I wish built-in calendar did. Outlook provides this functionality and is an Exchange client. IOS could utilize the Exchange APIs instead of relying on web access, as Exchange scheduler does.

Actually iOS utilizes the ActiveSync protocol. It is not Apple's fault...
In order to access shared mailboxes, you would need to access EWS and that is simply not the case with the iOS client. Even Windows Phone doesn't do that...

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I'd like to see more control over calendars in Notification Centre. I have my own calendar and access to another one, but I only ever want to see mine in NC.

pyropringle

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I like the look of the new calendar interface. But Id like to see the quick view returned when on month view. I hate clicking on a day (with the newly returned dots), and then having to scroll 24 hours to find a single event. The dots don't do anything for me because I tend to have an event on my calendar for almost everyday (because it includes Birthdays, Holidays, and my work schedule for 3 jobs). I know you can hit the search button at the top for the list, but having a list show at the bottom for each day you click like in ios6 would be awesome.

Same with notification center, I'm hoping they provide the option to show a list of the events for the day and not the 4 hour day view.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Any changes with beta 4 or have apple still completely lost all sense of UI?

This is what apple should have done withe the dots http://thingswrongwithios7.wordpres...gned-by-agenda-calendar-4-how-it-should-look/

No changes that bring what you (and alot of others including myself) are looking for. At this point, I don't expect that functionality to return. I have no basis for that statement, it's just a gut feeling at this point. I hate the new and "improved" calendar. Taking away functionality is just stupid.

And I am using Agenda 4 now for the record. However, I like using stock apps whenever possible but this new app has forced me to use a third party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.