Calendar in Entourage 2008 keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brainwave89, Feb 29, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

After I updated to Office 2008 from 2004 the following was in the CrashReport Log for Entourage:
    2008-02-29 15:06:12.033 Microsoft Office Setup Assistant[1281] Setting default handler for UTI (com.microsoft.entourage.email-message) to (com.microsoft.Entourage)
    2008-02-29 15:06:12.034 Microsoft Office Setup Assistant[1281] Setting default handler for UTI (com.microsoft.entourage.archive) to (com.microsoft.Entourage)

Entourage works find but once I try to open the Calendar it crashes.
    I get my Calendar and emails via a work server.

What might I be able to do so I can open the Calendar in Entourage successfully?

Thank you for looking.

2. kdog79 macrumors newbie

same here

I am experiencing the same problems. I am a systems administrator testing out Office 2008 and Calendar keeps crashing. I have not found any fixes for this so i have reverted back to Office 2004 :(

3. kdog79 macrumors newbie

Fixing the Entourage 2008 Calendar Crash

Ok so i have managed to fix this. It seems when upgrading from Office for Mac 2004 to Office 2008 the Calendar database within Entourage does not convert correctly causing constant crashes.

To fix this you will need to uninstall Office 2008

HDD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app

Remove Microsoft plist files from

~/Library/Preferences

Then you have two options

1. You can archive emails by going to File and export and this will create a .rge file. Save this to a location and later if needs be you can import the emails in the new Office 2008

2. I personally did not do option 1 because i already have archive emails in the .rge format to a secured location. Also i am on an Exchange server so all my current emails and folders in exchange will repopulate themselves anyway.

You will need to move the ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data to some where secure just in case. The reason i do this is because i have lot of rules and scripts running on particular incoming emails and the Rules Database is held in the Main Identity folder within the Microsoft User Data folder.

I then managed to copy the Rules database back in to my new Office 2008 Main identity. (please note you will need to change rules for say move email x to folder x - by default this changes back to Inbox-folder on my Computer)

Then Install Office 2008 and when Entourage opens for the first time DO NOT select import data from another database. Carry out a fresh install

Then carry out the updates and you will find the Calendar works fine.:)

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the work kdog79. I will do the same on my machine and let you know how it goes.