Calendar launches Mail when sending invites...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HallStevenson, May 1, 2012.

1. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

...but didn't used to do this. I do use Thunderbird as my mail client and it is the default. Sometime in the past couple of weeks, the Mail app now opens and stays open. I don't know if the OS sent it using the default mail app or sent it "silently" in the background or what. I'm sure even if it used Mail to send it and then closed Mail, I would have noticed the icon show up in the dock.

How do I change this ?

Running OS X 10.6.8

2. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Talked to apple support and they don't know either. :/

3. The Tech Fish macrumors member

It might be possible that an update to either your mac, or to thunderbird has caused thunderbird to no longer be de default mail client, so I would start by checking that it still is.

If that is all fine, then the only other thing i can think of is to 'delete' apple mail (I would not actually delete it, simply move it to an external storage device incase you need it back) and see if that sorts the issue out. I've looked through the iCal settings, and can't seem to find anything about preferred mail clients...

If that does not work, the only other thing I can think of doing is restoring the whole computer (depending on how neat your files are, this can be a 2/3 hour job or a 3 day job.)

Anyway, Hope that gives you some success!

4. HallStevenson thread starter macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Thunderbird is the default mail client as noted in my OP. I checked before posting.

Restoring doesn't sound very practical in case an update to OS X or the Mail app is the issue as it will just reappear when that update is pushed.