Calendar Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Windows Expat, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

Recently, Google stopped offering SMS notifications for calendar activity. I had been using that for years, and suddenly I've realized that I'm missing all the activity on my 2 shared calendars (new events, events being edited, etc).

Is there a way to receive notifications for this on my iPhone? I turned on notifications in settings for shared calendars, but apparently it only applies to iCloud calendars.

If it has any bearing, I generally use Fantastical as my main calendar app on my phone. Can't get anything from that app either unfortunately.

I am aware that Google offers email notifications. Not interested in more email however lol.

Any help is appreciated!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Notifications generally go by what's set for alerts in the calendar events. If those have alerts set up, and the app you are using has notifications enabled (and Apple's Calendar app, Fantastical, and others support that) then notifications will come up. There's also Google's own Google Calendar app as well (which also has notifications).

3. Windows Expat thread starter macrumors member

Windows Expat

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm finding that the best any of them can do is that actual event notification. Nothing for new additions or changes. That's the bit I'm really missing with SMS notifications gone.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I overlooked that part of it in your OP. Yeah, I'm not sure if any apps notify of calendar changes, aside for iCloud calendars perhaps that Apple itself integrates with (although you'd think that Google's own calendar app would offer that if they offer that via email and at least used to via SMS).

If SMS is truly not available any more for some reason, but email is still there, perhaps your phone has an email address that you can use to send the email notifications--many carriers offer an email address associated with the phone number so that people can send an email to it which would be delivered as an SMS basically, so maybe that might be a way to get fairly similar functionality that you had before (still not sure why Google is removing SMS features).

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Set up email forwarding to your SMS email address, if you have that with your provider. Then, set up a filter to forward the notification emails to that SMS email address (and skip the inbox, if you prefer).

Not sure this will work as the emails originate with Google. They're funny that way.

6. Windows Expat thread starter macrumors member

Windows Expat

After loads of Googling, I discovered IFTTT. Very complicated workaround, but I'm able to get pretty much what I need with it. Thanks to all for the various suggestions.

7. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I use google calendars with Calendars 5 and still get notifications.