Calendar Query

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by snerkler, Nov 17, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I've finally taken the plunge updating to iOS 7, it has grown on me since not liking the first 2 betas and going back to iOS 6. One thing that still bugs me is the calendar, or more specifically one aspect of the calendar.

When you're in month view and see a date with a dot representing there's an event on that day, in iOS 6 when you tapped on that day it brought up a list of all the events that day. In iOS 7 when you click on the day it doesn't list the events of that day but instead takes you to the day view and then you have to either scroll up and down through the entire day or click on the magnifying glass at the top.

Is there any way to get a similar functionality of iOS 6?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't think so. I think your best bet would be to get an app from the app store. Many nice free ones out there - I like Tempo.

3. snowman1 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, there is no workaround that I know of. It is simply the design of the iOS 7 calendar. They may or may not bring it back in future updates, but if you really need the iOS 6 functionality, you should look to calendar app alternatives on the app store.

I recommend Fantastical 2 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2/id718043190?mt=8) ($2.99). Good integration of calendar and reminders. Great natural-language processing. Also contains the monthly view that was in iOS 6.

or Calendars 5 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calendars-5-smart-calendar/id697927927?mt=8) ($6.99). The monthly view in this app is very different, however. It is not a list like it is in iOS 6. It involves some zooming in and out to see events in the monthly view.

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. It's not essential to be honest, just a niggle I could do without, but if that's the way it is I'll learn to live with it. I like the fact that it syncs via iCloud with my mac and ipad, and the fact I can send event invites to my wife. This is more important than the niggle I think.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Calendar apps on App Store isn't anything other than a different interface. The underlying information (the actual calendar) is still the same. Invites still work the same way.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get Fantastical 2

Then, in its settings, turn on light theme.
    Under 'List' set "Show Selected Day Only'
    Then, pull down the weekly timeline like a window shade to turn it into a month-view.

And that should do it! Pretty much exactly like the iOS 6 calendar.

And Fantastical syncs it calendar information with the default Apple calendar, both ways. Anything you do in Fantastical will go back to iCloud almost instantly. This means you can use Fantastical and Apple's calendar side by side. Doesn't matter which one you pick, sync-wise.

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh right, will give those a look then. Thanks :)

8. mallom macrumors regular

Guys, I just want to thank you for sharing this information. I downloaded "Fantastic" app and I loved it.

:D

9. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I second this, thanks for the info. Fantastical 2 gives me exactly what I wanted. My only frustration initially was that I couldn't find a quick way to get back to the current day if I'd been scrolling through the calendar, but I discovered that if I tapped the top banner it takes you straight to the current day. It's now perfect for me. Well actually I'd give it 9/10, it'd be perfect if it was free ;)