Calendar Reinstall

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by GPap, May 6, 2014.

1. GPap macrumors regular

GPap

Hello, is there an option to reinstall Calendar (only) ?
    I have bootable disk with Mavericks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, Apple only gives you the option to upgrade/install the OS. It does not give you the ability to reinstall an app that is part of the OS

3. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

So, I have to reinstall OS again if my problem persist.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What exactly is the problem? You would only need to reinstall if you had deleted the Calendar app itself. The reinstall would put it back.

But if the Calendar app is still there in the /Applications folder a reinstall is not likely to help your problem.

5. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

Thanks guys, I'm trying to open files or automator simple apps from calendar at specific time but returns me an error with one notification, as it says.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So you can open and use Calendar app normally, it is just the Automator action that does not work properly? That sounds more like something is wrong with your Automator action.

I saw your other posts. You just want to open a particular web page at a certain time?

Just use Applescript Editor to make an Applescript with the text below substituting whatever site you want. Then save it as an application.

Then set your Calendar alert to launch a file and select the saved Applescript application. That should do it.

Code:
    open location "http://www.bing.com/"

7. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

Unfortunately returns me the same error as if I used the Automator.
    "There is a problem with one notification on 7th May and application cannot be started"

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm confused. So you can't launch Calendar at all?

I actually made the Applescript app with the text I gave you and made and event alarm out of it and it worked, so I'm not sure where you are going wrong?

9. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

I can launch Calendar properly but the problem begins when I'm trying to open apps from Calendar.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not sure where you are going wrong. Follow this step by step.

Open Applescript editor and paste in this.

Code:
    open location "http://www.bing.com/"
    Now hit command-s to save the Applescript and select application in the bottom drop down then name it whatever you want. I left mine as untitled and put it on the Desktop. You can test it by double clicking the saved application and it will launch the web site. Once you have that working proceed to Calendar.

Make a new event at whatever date and time you want then click on alert and select custom then in the drop down pick Open file then select your application we made earlier. Then in the last drop down select at time of event.

So in my example at 9AM on May 12 the alert will trigger the Applescript application and open Safari to bing.com.

I just tested this and it works and I can quit and restart Calendar normally.

[​IMG]

11. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

When I double clicked the apps (Automator or AppleScript apps) works properly and opening the site. When I'm trying to open the app from Calendar, as you said, returns me the error. The error appears at the specific time which I set.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just repeated my test and set it for 3PM and bing.com opened right on schedule at 3PM. Not sure where you are going wrong. :confused:

Can you expand the alert and take a screenshot for me like this one?

[​IMG]

13. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

My Screenshot (Attachment) :

Attached Files:

• Img.bmp
      File size:
      719.3 KB
      Views:
  14. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

I also see that : When I type www.bing.com works fine. When I type www.apple.com the problem persists.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Well... my Greek is a little rusty :D, but from what I can tell using Google Translate my friend, I think you have this bit correct.

Now we are getting somewhere. So you can make the Applescript application with bing and it works, but with apple.com it does not??

Code:
    open location "http://www.apple.com/"
    Are you sure you included the quotes around http://www.apple.com/, because they need to be there. I just tested the same Applescript app with http://www.apple.com/ and it works okay for me.

16. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

You understood that was Greek, so you are in the good road !
    I was copy and paste your code and still gives me the error :)

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just so I am clear, you can make the Applescript app using bing.com and the whole thing works like it should? Bing launches in Safari when the alert triggers like it should?

If that works and the same thing with apple.com won't work, I am kind of stuck here. :confused:

Are you sure you did not miss something saving the different Applescript apps?

18. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

If I double clicked at the apps as AppleScripts they work perfect in Safari. When I run the apps from the Calendar the one runs, the other not. I will check them again now.

----------

Now everything works (without change anything). I have the same issue in Calendar, once work and the other time not.

19. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

It drives me crazy, before 5 minutes everything works fine (for AppleScripts apps not for Automator) and now not working again. What should I do ?

20. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

Something Strange

*I found something without logic but it happenings : When I double click at the Automator and AppleScripts Apps in my Computer (they work properly) and after that I choose to open them from the Calendar it works with no problem.

But when I'm trying to open an App from Calendar without opening first as an App returns the "problem with one notification".

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't follow what you mean by the bolded part? Can you explain step by step what works and what does not.

It seems to work like it should for me.

22. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

What it works fine :
    1) Opening the apps without Calendar first.
    2) Opening the apps with Calendar at specific time.

What it doesn't work :
    1)Opening the apps from Calendar at specific time without open first as apps.

*The difference here is opening the apps without Calendar first.
    I'm so confusing with this, it's a strange procedure.

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm wondering if we saved the Applescript app the same way. Here is how I saved the app after pasting in the text then a command-s to save. Did you do the same?

[​IMG]

Still not clear what you are doing here. When I run the app it just launches the web page and stops. It is not still running or anything, so it does not appear to make any difference if I have already run it or not.

24. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

I have to tell you that if I lunch the apps first and then lunch from Calendar everything works fine (Automator apps, AppleScripts, Core apps, Third party apps).
    If I don't lunch the apps first and trying to open from Calendar nothing works.
    *Yes, I save my AppleScripts as application.

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So if you launch the app manually, then launch it from Calendar it only works one time then not after that?