Calendar Sharing for Birthdays?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Looks like there's a default calendar called Birthdays in Calendar and it's driven off of a birthday's field in Contacts. I want to share this calendar but hovering over it in Calendar it doesn't give me the option (unlike all the other calendars).

If Contacts are shared through iCloud I assume that the Birthday field is shared too. If so, is it also sharing the Birthday calendar even though it won't let me share it through the Calendar application?

A related afterthought question...could I create new fields in Contacts such as "Anniversary" and drive a calendar off of it as well in the same way Birthday does?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

When you say "shared through iCloud," do you mean that several people are using the same iCloud account? If so, you can enable the Birthdays calendar in iCloud: Sign into iCloud.com and access the Calendars app. Click the Preferences icon (gear) in the lower left. You'll be able to enable the Birthday calendar. I don't know of another way to share the Birthdays calendar.

It would be nice if this could be done in Family Sharing, but at this time, there's no shared contacts list - you'd just be able to add birthdays as events in the shared family calendar.