Calendar sharing.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macjock, Dec 8, 2009.

1. macjock macrumors regular

Hello,

I am looking for the best way to be able to have a shared calendar that my wife and I can access on our respective iPhones. Are there any options for this outwith mobile me?

For example are there any apps etc to avoid using a web based calendar. I know this may be a big ask but it is Christmas. :D

2. MTI macrumors 65816

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I use google for me and my girlfriend. It was very simple and works great. just set up a calendar using your google account.... then follow the instructions to add your google account using exchange on both your iphones (assuming you're not already using exchange for something else) when you get to the part that asks you if you want to sync: calendar, mail, contacts just choose calendar and youre all set...... then the calendar comes up in your native calendar application and any changes you add wireless sync to your phone > google server > her phone. and same if she makes any changes, that way you guys are always in sync. good luck

the only setback is you can no longer use the excuse "oh was that today? i totally forgot"

4. macjock thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this. Do you know if I would be able to view a mobile me calendar and a google calendar via the native app on the phone?

Edit to add. Do changes made on the phone sync aswell?

5. wilderness1957 macrumors regular

www.getsyncd.com

they let you maintain as many calendar's as you need shared or not. They also sync your email and contacts. They are cheaper than mobile me and have great customer service. Google has crashed and a lot of downtime recently. Also had issues with their calendars not syncing correctly

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yes to both questions. Make sure your fetch is on reasonable time for the calander.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yes you can view both and even have several google calendars if you wanted to. I have the shared calendar with my girlfriend from google and my own personal mobile me calendar. And yes anything done on the iPhone will sync back to the google calendar and in turn sync to her phone, same with any changes she makes on her phone will be reflected on google and on your phone. It's a beautiful thing

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I have this as well with my husband and I and it is GREAT. No need for a mobile me account with google calenders. You can use the native app and they sync nicely.. no issues at all.. a little tricky setting up though, but nothing crazy hard

9. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

I looked into this a cou0ple of weeks ago because I would like to share a calendar with my wife for joint events etc.
    However, she uses Outlook to sync her home and work calendars already and after investigation, I found that Google Calendar Sync will only sync with your "Primary" Outlook calendar.
    If it synched with a secondary calendar that would be great.
    Has anybody found a way around this problem?

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I use MobileMe for calendar sharing with my wife. This is probably the easiest way to share calendars. It's been perfect for the last six months or so when we first started it. Now, I can't imagine not having it. Works very well. --It's not the only thing I use MobileMe for, btw.

11. MTI macrumors 65816

To share the same calendar, is your wife using the same MobileMe account, or does it allow for a shared calendar across different accounts?

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

She's using the same account. I know we could do this for free elsewhere, but we use just about everything MM offers, and the setup is simpler.

13. macjock thread starter macrumors regular

Do you both have a mobile me account or do you have the family pack?

I have a personal mobile me account but I didn't think I could share a calendar without buying my wife one.

14. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'm doing it with one account. You've got to add the same account to each iPhone. No problem, and works very well for us. Great calendar/address book sharing solution. If you've already got a MobileMe account, you should try it.

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

But doesn't she get all of your MobileMe emails then as well? I'm tempted by this idea, but I don't want my wife getting all of my emails on her phone...

16. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you can pick and choose what you would like synced on each phone so I'm sure that on her phone only calendar is enabled. Then on his phone he has email, calendars and contact enabled..... of course your spouse can always go in and enable emails whenever she wants so if you are going for privacy this may not be the best option.

17. j.donald macrumors newbie

GOOGLE calender is cool , my self and many of my friends use this application , just check it once .
    this application is very easy to use and is totally cool,

18. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

True, I use MobileMe mail for spam only so that doesn't matter a whole lot.