Calendar suddenly not syncing to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by desertman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

My Calendar appointments have suddenly disappeared from Calender on my iPhone.

It started by one appointment that I created on my iPad not syncing to my iPhone (but to my Mac). I then disabled Calendar syncing on the iPhone and reenabled it again. Now Calendar on my iPhone does only show my reminders but non of my Calendar appointments. I also disabled all calenders in Calendar ("Hide All Calendars") and reenabled them again - did not help.

What could have caused this, and how could I fix it?

Greetings - desertman

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is. All my syncing (except for mail) happens through iCloud. It partially works again - after refreshing the calendars list in Calendar on my iPhone all calendars and all appointments reappeared. However, when I change an appointment on my Mac it does not update on my iPhone (but it does on my iPad).

I also noticed that the color of my default calender has changed from black to cyan.

The strange thing is that everything worked until two or three days ago and then it suddenly did not work anymore on the iPhone (but does work still on the iPad).

I am about to call Apple but since this usually takes a long time I would prefer to find a solution (and the cause!) here.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Might want to just toast it all and start fresh. I've had issues in the past where things just kept getting more wrapped around the axle with iCloud syncs for Cal, contacts, etc, and fresh start got things back in order.

On Mac, export a Calendar Archive. Then turn off iCloud Calendar for Mac. Delete out all the calendars from Mac.

Disable iCloud calendar with the delete option on iOSes.

Login to iCloud and see if anything hanging around there in Calendar. Delete stuff there.

Back to Mac, import Calendar archive. Reenable iCloud. Reenable the iOS devices.

Hopefully that will shake what ever bit is stuck.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'll take that a bit further. I've seen Calendars get really fouled up and had to delete the associated system files. Seems like the problems came back if I just deleted them "on the surface".

6. Arynaria macrumors newbie

Don't delete anything! And you don't need to do any restores or resets, either. I solved this after a lot of headaches and hair-pulling, and it's much simpler than you might think:
    1. Set up your account through Google (not Exchange) and make sure "Calendars" is turned on.
    2. Go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", and you'll see an option for "Fetch New Data" under your accounts.
    3. Open "Fetch New Data". At the bottom there is an option called "FETCH", which gives a little blurb about the schedule and battery life. It will likely be set to "Manually".
    4. Change the setting from "Manually" to "Hourly".
    5. Go to the "Default Calendar" screen at the very bottom of "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". You should now see all your custom calendars as choices.
    6. Once you select your new default, all calendar apps should be able to access the data and sync like they did before with Exchange. (I use Refills Lite because it looks most similar to the actual Google Calendar.) Adding/editing/deleting events also works fine from both the phone or the web.
    I have recreated the "problem" and fixed it this way multiple times. I don't know if it's considered a workaround or not, but my calendar sync issues are 100% gone. Tested on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1, but it will probably work for earlier iOS versions, since the actual settings menus haven't changed too much.

Hope this helps. :)

7. Maoli, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Maoli macrumors newbie

Similar Problem to Desertman

I have a very similar problem to Desertman. I've tested this very thoroughly and the bug is consistent and persistent. I have an iMac, MacBook Air, iPad mini and iPhone 5. I sync everything through iCloud on all devices. This works perfectly with one exception. The iPhone does not sync Calendar and Reminder items FROM the iCloud to the iPhone. Syncing from the iPhone to iCloud works perfectly. I have found a work around which works every time. After updating a reminder or Calendar item I go to settings on my iPhone and switch the default list for new Reminders. This evidently forces a sync on the iPhone. I have talked to Apple and so far they are stumped. I'll keep trying.

Update 12/16/14
    I logged out of iCloud and chose the option to leave data on the iPhone. I then logged back into iCloud choosing the option to merge data. This resolved the issue. Now, pushes to iPhone work flawlessly. Thanks to Apple for assistance.