Calibrate Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFW122083, Oct 15, 2011.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

So to everyone who got a 4s, have you calibrated your battery yet? Do you calibrate your battery at all? Cant decide if I want to go through the whole let it run down and die for 5 hours and then recharge.....

2. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

Doing that now, hopefully it helps. I've noticed since charging back up, it doesn't drain as fast.

3. Captain America macrumors 6502

Huh? You can "calibrate" it?

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You should absolutely do this.

When I buy an iPhone, I do it at least 2-3 times in a row. Then I do it twice a month from there. I've found that it does improve battery life.

5. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you let it run out all the way and keep it off for a few hours first, or just run it down and recharge?

6. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

It's really your choice if you want to run-down your battery or not. Lithium-ion doesn't really need to do that because it has a higher power density. If you keep it charging overnight that's no big deal either because once it reaches 100% it sort of goes into "idle" mode.

Why?

Another Apple post says you should run down your battery at least once a month from 100% to dead.

The other post

So in the end, it's up to you.

7. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

maybe the battery meters aren't always as accurate, or maybe there were other things such as having better signal or less things running

8. Advil macrumors 6502a

I thought lithium ions didn't need calibration?

or is it a software thing?

9. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I suspect the calibration has more to do with getting the battery meter right then anything to do with the battery life.

10. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. So we have some say do it, some say doesn't matter, and some don't know what we are talking about lol. I'm pretty sure the purpose is to display battery percentage more accurately. On my old i4 I never got the advertised 10 hours of use. I understand that it varies by use, but kinda felt like it wasn't what it should be...

11. whawhat macrumors 6502

Doing it now w. my 4S. It's down to 2% so charging it overnight after running it straight outta the box. Not sure if it helps but I've done it for my 2 other iPhones and never had to replace a battery so...

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

12. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

Ran it down, and recharging now. I'm at 99%. I can say after running it down and charging back up, it seems better.