Calibrate or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fortheloveofmac, Aug 17, 2011.

1. fortheloveofmac macrumors member

Someone told me my 2011 MBP doesn't need to be calibrated. I've read responses to both. They said they found it on the Apple site, but I think I was searching with the wrong information, so I couldn't find what they were talking about. Is this true about not having to calibrate a new MBP? The responses in here seem new-ish and some still mention calibration.
    Same goes for Verizon iPhone 4 bought a few months ago?
    If anyone can give me a 100% answer, as I'm approaching two months on my MBP (7 cycles, if that matters), that would be amazing. I want to make it last, of course.
    Thanks!

2. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

From what I can gather from gaining info from the knowledgable ones on here it does absolutely nothing for your battery life, it's just to give you an accurate reading of percentage/time left on your battery..

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You should calibrate it every month/2 moths to ensure an accurate reading. It doesn't improve the health of the battery but it will give you more accurate readings (percentage and time left).

It barely takes any effort; if you don't have any problems, you don't really "have" to do anything.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

All you do is just run it down to completely empty and let it sit like that for like 5+ hours and then charge it fully again. Doesn't take a lot of work, you are just without the use of it for a little while.

5. kayellare macrumors newbie

I know how to, I'm asking whether or not to after seeing both answers. I want to know if I need to or not and why there are both answers swimming, perhaps based on age of MBP.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple's official word is you don't need to calibrate your battery as it already comes pre-calibrated...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

7. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

And yet most people do it, Wish they'd make their mind up!

8. Young Spade, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011

Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea for the first time, however, over time, the battery needs to be calibrated again.

----------

This is at the bottom of the guide.

Intel notebooks
    Intel notebooks, which includes all MacBooks and MacBook Pros, use the following method of calibration: [1]

Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your laptop's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
    Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialogue on the screen.

Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
    Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Battery calibration will help your computer display accurate information, and will give you an accurate picture of your battery's relative health and ability to hold a charge. If you believe that your battery is not holding a sufficient charge, perform a calibration first, and then reexamine your battery's health.

9. kayellare macrumors newbie

I know HOW to. I saw "professionals" saying NOT to. Then, I found out that it doesn't help your battery, it just shows you how much of it is left. Goodbye.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What kind of professional doesn't know the benefits of calibrating a battery and/or not saying you should?

I think you should really check the validity of your sources.

11. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

The Apple support page isn't exactly clear on the matter seeing as it contradicts itself... but I assume when they say "all models" they mean "all models except those mentioned above".

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the record, calibration does not affect the health of your battery. It only makes the battery readings more accurate. If your health showed as 97% before calibration and 93% after, that means it was already at 93%, but was being inaccurately reported as 97%. Calibration made the reading more accurate.

The newer Mac portables with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the older removable batteries did. However, if you suspect that your battery readings are inaccurate, it doesn't hurt anything to calibrate the newer batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: