calibrate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madrid, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Madrid macrumors member

Im currently callibrating my macbook pro's battery but I had a question. How do I know if I have done the calibration right?

2. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks but Im mostly wondering how do I know if I did it right

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Your battery keeps working as normal. You're basically just running the battery all the way down and charging it up fully. I'm not sure how you can mess that up ;)

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Am I to understand that my early 2011 MBP battery does not need calibrating?

Excerpt:

Additional Information
    Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
    MacBook Air

MacBook Air, all versions
    MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) and later
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) and later
    MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Given that calibration isn't a one-time event, but should be done periodically, I believe that means that pre-calibrated models don't need the initial calibration, but would benefit from subsequent calibration. Certainly, calibration is appropriate if you suspect your readings are inaccurate.

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... you're a good guy GGJ but I'm still puzzled. I've calibrated mine twice since I bought it 2 months ago and never see the "health" go back up. I actually lost a percent or two. It's at 96% right now.

I'll keep doing it though.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to calibrate more than once every month or two. Your health will fluctuate up and down over time, with the eventual direction being downward, as all batteries begin to die as soon as they start being used. Calibration won't make you gain or lose battery health. If it shows a lower percentage after calibration, that means it was already lower, but was being reported inaccurately. Calibration made the reading more accurate. As long as it's not dropping 10-15% in a short period of time, you don't need to be preoccupied with your battery health.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.