Calibrated Battery for First Time; Now getting "Service Battery" Error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ideal.dreams, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I calibrated my battery for the first time since Dec. When I plugged it in this morning, it took 3 hours to charge all the way, and now it's stuck on 99% full, 0:00 till completely charged, and I'm getting an error when I click on the battery in the menu bar that says "Service Battery". When I click on the error, it tells me that it may not be functioning properly and to take it to an authorized apple service retailer. Before I waste 2 hours by going to the Apple store and back, has anyone else had this problem, and is there a way to fix it without having it looked at?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X v10.6: About the Battery menu bar extra for portable Macs

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I viewed all of those threads, and the only definitive answer I got from all of them was "if your Mac is under a year old, or under 3 years old with applecare, take it to an apple store." This wouldn't be a problem if the nearest Apple store wasn't ~1 hour away :rolleyes:.

@GGJstudios: I have reset the SMC and it is still displaying the error. I guess I'll have to take it in.

Thanks for the responses

4. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I went to the Apple Store today, and they replaced my battery for free. However, after it finished charging, I unplugged it to see the estimated time it would last. It's still pretty low; 4 hours when it's supposed to be 8. In the energy saver menu, I switched off "High Performance" to "Better Battery Life", and it was still the same.

Does anyone know what's causing it to be so low? I'm losing about half of what it's supposed to be...