Calibrating a White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amabo, May 18, 2009.

1. amabo macrumors member

So I recently purchased a refurbished white Macbook. The display is model 00009C5F (without the lines) but I've found the colors to be way off. See if you can tell the difference between my external monitor and the macbook.

External Monitor
    [​IMG]

White Macbook
    [​IMG]

Anyway, is this a defect or just fault of bad calibration? It's really off sometimes - I enjoy the color contrast on my external monitor much more than the Macbook. Any help is appreciated.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just calibrate your monitor. I found that my screen was much too warm when I got it, a half hour of calibrating and now it's perfect*.

*as perfect as I could get a Macbook screen

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It's a laptop screen. It's not going to be as good as an external display. If it really bothers you, I would recommend purchasing a harware calibration tool.

4. amabo thread starter macrumors member

I'm not getting great results using the Expert mode of calibrating. If anyone could share their profiles, I would really appreciate it.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Screens differ from machine to machine even if it is the same panel. Do a search in this forums for color profiles and you'll find a thread dedicated to it. However, that being said, I still recommend just dropping a little cash on a hardware calibrator. Using the ColorSync tool is not anywhere near as good as true hardware.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I was under the impression the thread in question was for Aluminium Macbooks?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Your point? You can't share profiles and expect them to be perfect on all unibody Macbooks. Each machines display differs a little, you have to calibrate each one individually.

8. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Trust me on this good sir. Just take the plunge and pick up a Spyder or some other hardware calibrator. You will never have this issue again. I used to get frustrated by the same thing when I was running two monitors and the only thing that solved it in the end was hardware. Even if you do a great software calibration on your MacBook, it will still differ from the desktop display. Hardware calibrators are a plain and simple worth while investment that will be of use on every computer you buy from here on in. They can be had for cheap too.

9. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

how to calibrate RGB

I have a hardware calibrator - the LaCie Blue Eye Pro - and I have calibrated my external monitor, but does anyone know how, if it is is possible, to calibrate the RGB levels on the MB? Otherwise, even hardware calibration is fairly limited.

UPDATE: OK, so I spent some time with my calibration kit for the first time in a while. I posted the color profile in my other post along with the report it generated.